Matchsticks instead of dowel method

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

Matchsticks instead of dowel method

Post by Richuk »

I decided to use matchsticks instead of dowel - done for all the right reasons.

Core is upside down in this picture, base is on top.

I got the idea from ... no I'm just a genius, but unfortunately this is as good as it gets :?

It looks odd, but it's a trick of the light.

I've press like this four times. I'm only able to press one ski at a time. I used four per ski, placed them so that they will be in line with the cable ties front and aft of the centre and therefore compressed into place before the cassette goes into the press. I will add then to the middle in future. The core is recessed so it slots over the edge set. I don't see any problem with fore aft movement, maybe they have moved 0.5 mm. I'd be surprised, as the middle of the mold is the first area to compress.

I think you have to be really careful when transferring to the press using this technique!
Last edited by Richuk on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Clever! I like it. I didn't follow at first but looks like you glued match sticks on to the core so the base sits between the match sticks. I'll have to keep this in mind next time.

So the FG doesn't get in the way? Or do you make allowance for it? Do you cut the FG for an exact/close fit to the shape of the base?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I am completely lost here... what are you doing exactly? This is to help the core from shifting? (the same reason a lot of people drill holes in their core and glue dowels, vertically, to the base)

or something else? Your pictures aren't helping me :(
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Sorry twizz - hope the larger photo helps. SD has explained it! I glue base on to the cassette and the core goes on like a lid. I allow a small amount for the FG, the smallest amount.

It's worth a test lay up before drilling two holes through your core, see if you like it.

I'll post a few more photo's next time!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Oh, ok I think I get it. I was confused by the first picture, is that silver p-tex? I couldn't see any steel edge. So you're saying the matchstick sits just outside the steel edge, correct?

That's very clever, I like it!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Packaging tape. Yep, glued them close to the edge, but not super tight.

It does mean the core is oversized, but not by too much :)