Double Action Ski Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G

Double Action Ski Press

Post by G »

I was wondering if using the force created by the air bladder on both sides (top and bottom) could allow the pressing of 2 skis at a time? The air bladder, sandwiched between the skis, would push one ski upward into the top mould, and the other ski downward into the bottom mould.

This would keep the ski press width to a minimum but may require an increase in shut height. The ski press as designed would be sufficient to handle the forces in this arrangement, as there would be really no changes to the force profile whether pressing 1 or 2 skis.

Comments/thoughts on this idea? Thanks.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I would just wonder how you would go about laying up the skis? One other issue might be that the hose might inflate large enough to give full pressure to both skis. In most presses there is a significant amount of filler above the bladder that keeps the bladder flat and puts an even pressure on the ski.
collin

Post by collin »

I think you might have a hard time making sure the skis are the same. You'd have to make an acurate top mold and take into consideration the varying thickness of the ski. Right?