Montucky Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I here ya. Its still a hobby no matter how you slice it.
But people paying me to as another builder put it "hone my craft" so I can gather materials, know how, molds and jigs is pretty damn sweet.
Its amazing that I actually have some money right now as opposed to blowing it all on materials and equipment because we actually worked for it even at a third world wage.
I work for a company that makes a custom product but its been around for 30 years so many of the patterns and tooling are already in place so now the company just makes straight gravy profit over base overhead but all the R and D is done.
I like getting a bit of cash in hand for R and D work with the skis.
We are all set up for a double press with cassettes and AL cattrack.
I just need to finish the r and d on the heat blankets out of pocket, a nominal expenditure in comparison. I may even get paid back for the grinder in a few more pair.
I still don't see this as a viable buisness structure even at a reduced custom rate until you have much of the tooling out of the way. Even then 1K min for a custom product to make even a bit of cash on time and materials. IMO.
Really pumped now we have all the crap we need for at least 6 pair with virtually no out of pocket expenditure.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That's cool! A hobby that can pay for itself is rare. I've sold 1 pair so far at cost plus a 6 pack. I have 2 more potentially in the works. I've made 10 pair so far for me and my daughters. I learned something new in each one. R+D is the fun part and if the hobby can fund that too, that's even better.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I just sold a pair to a friend of mine. It was a design that I really liked but they were just too soft for me. He gave me $50 more than I was asking as an incentive to build him another pair as well.

I like the idea of selling my stuff that I have already skied and tested. That way I can keep building new skis for myself and not having an out of control fleet in my garage.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

MM - you're on your way!!!
falls

Post by falls »

I have an out of control fleet in my living room!
This will be the last time every pair I've ever built will be in the one spot :(
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yeah most ski sites have a quiver thread and when and if they are all in one spot you snap a pic and post it.
Bridgerview

Post by Bridgerview »

Good to see the progress. I might have seen some of your work at summit. I am on the brink of pressing. ( I've been saying that for months). I now know what you mean when it comes time to press. Im almost afraid to start... that way I won't screw up all the prep work. :oops: I still owe you that beer.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yep just the hop juices not the other homemades.
let me know when your first flight occurs.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Finally got around to using the 100K machine for something other than just cutting the base out and did some die cuts with our logo.
Sorry rich we decided on this name long before you launched your name on FB as far as I know. Kinda similar but good thing we are different continents.

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

How do you make a die cutter? I've been searching everywhere and have come up with nothing. I get the press part, it's the actual cutter...

Nice logo double M :)
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I call it a die cut but I just used the cnc drag blade and digitized the logo. I work in a textile factory and we use this to cut fabric but it cuts uhmw really nicely also.
Same machine you see in all the vids for elan and k2 and so on.
http://www.eastmancuts.com/node/23
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I just bought a drag knife for my cnc that's too light. Where do you get the drag knives from? o please o please o please o please tell me haha I need a .250 shank.

Seriously. Please. I will have a case of beer shipped to your house. Carried by cactus' with cowboy hats.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

ruh row... now big old bad brazen needs a distributor from tuckyman?
I dunno, you were so uptight about the silicon sheet... we will see.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I'm pretty sure cactus hands must look like that...and man, THANK YOU.