Montucky Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I did the same thing to a pair of skis. They were really stiff so I took a router to the top edge and cut a cove into them. It definitely helped. They weren't nearly as wide as yours.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... +eye+maple
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

^^^ yeah I know nothing I do is oG. I just get it from Here. Thanks.

I did get the idea from you I just couldn't remember where I saw it.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hopefully I can ski these now. They are softer but they were stiffer than race stiff before.
Stained the groves and sidewalls to match the topsheet and a re-poly.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

running a new batch of 5 pair or so.
This is our new alignment procedure.
We sand the cassette with some 120 in a tiny spot and drop some locktight super glue and 10 seconds later the dowel is aligned and ready to press. Cuts of with the flash.

Steevner

Post by Steevner »

MontuckyMadman wrote: Image
Looks really cool man. One thing I would suggest though, it tapering off the end of the channels. When you have sharp lines and quick corners like that, it tends to create stress concentrations much higher than you would think. So as weird as it sounds, removing some more wood would actually strengthen them up.

I would never want to see a ski so beautiful succumb to preventable failure!

Otherwise, I think the skis are awesome. If/and/or/when I make my own, I think I would also use a veneer topsheet. I've made some great looking longboards with some exotic veneers, makes em look very fancy!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MontuckyMadman wrote:running a new batch of 5 pair or so.
This is our new alignment procedure.
That's how I do it now to. Works great! No alignment problems, no garbage in the layup.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

MontuckyMadman wrote:hopefully I can ski these now. They are softer but they were stiffer than race stiff before.
Stained the groves and sidewalls to match the topsheet and a re-poly.

These are still too stiff for me. Maybe someone that weighs 230lbs and rips could drive these. I don't think I will use oak again.

Been busy making skis for lots of other people and sending protos around to get feedback.
Unfortunately all we get is positive feedback which doesn't help the design process. I have had to travel allot this season so in my free time I have been riding and not building.

Brewery skis were a big success and they ordered a few more pairs.
The topsheets from coda are awesome. Chad is rad.

There is a nice blue graphic that looks like wood on those brew skis. Much cooler in person.

There ya go rich.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great looking skis and graphics! Love the rooster.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

They're just smokin' :D
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote:Great looking skis and graphics! Love the rooster.
I didn't see the rooster! I thought it was a "non-figurative-art" :oops:
Very nice indeed!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

LOVE those graphics! Outstanding work.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so little update....
We have made about 6 pair to sell at a discount price for people and then we put the money back into materials and supplies and almost have double wide press with all the metal and an al cattrack and heat top and bottom, just another check and away we go.

At 20 man hours per set, custom, we make about 3 bucks an hour each. Great! Its not about that but to make even the slightest amount of money you would really have to cut that time in half and charge 1K per set if not more. Or dramatically increase volume and then you loose that custom application IMO. You like my blog?

Long steps to get here and gonna be in over 3K in work and materials and we will be set to press two at a time with dual controlers and enough crap to make about 10 pair stored up.

Cdw is on week 4 and still no shippy. They said 2 weeks processing time, I have heard about there lies and delays before. I made the mistake to wait on some other materials before and it jammed me up. Good thing I have some stuff stored up form skibuilders. They do sell they rubber also. 50 bucks for a big ass roll, 1" wide. They can get the 13" wide stuff from haberkrom but its a 5000 meter minimum. Group buy?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I know, is that f'n insane or what. 3 miles of VDS haha. I just ordered 2 rolls from CDW but if you're wanting someone to toss in on the bigger order let me know.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
falls

Post by falls »

Double wide has to reduce your time a fair bit.
I think 10 man hours per pair is quoted in one of the Wagner customs or Folsom videos. I think 10 hours is achievable especially if you have a dedicated space. I think I spend almost more time setting up and packing away temporary tables. Moving thicknesser. Sanding varnish off bamboo floorboards, getting rust off edges by hand etc.
$1000 isn't that bad for a pair of skis in Australia especially with custom dims and topsheet. Just don't steal my potential market!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MM- Struggling w/ the same thing... How to make a few bucks on a custom ski (or standard ski for that matter). For a true all custom ski/board that may require the making of new forms, new board shape, specific core design or material, etc., I wouldn't be shy about charging for all that time. That's a lot of grunt work.

I think you have to limit or put some frame work around what custom will mean. Or what level of custom service you'll offer.

If you want to built one-offs for every buyer, some body has to pay for all your hard work.

Falls- I hear ya. I probably spend 20% of my time on setup/break down of work areas and looking for stuff. Nothing that a well organized/dedicated shop won't cure :)