Getting inventive with tools for finishing

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

prospectsnow

Getting inventive with tools for finishing

Post by prospectsnow »

So I'm starting to build a press and realize that just having press is a small chunk of the operation. There is machinery and tools needed to have a full operation. I don't have much cash to plug into making this, so ever dollar counts.

I'll probably be building a router bridge at some point, but for now I'm more concerned about after press finishing.

I am thinking of sidewall finishing and base grinding. I figure a router set up with a jig will give a good sidewall profile. How about base grinding. I realize machines go for a fraction of the new price, but thats still a few thousand. Anyone ever get results by using a cheap and dirty technique to do a base grind?

Are there any other post press steps that should be thinking about?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i think someone lined a staircase with sandpaper and rode the snowboard down the stairs. :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good one Chrismp! :D

I've used a belt sander with 180 grit...very carefully, followed by scraping with a razor blade, then I condition the base with 2 or 3 hot wax applications using cheap paraffin wax. Don't let the wax cool during this time. Scrape the wax off while it's still soft. This process is supposed pull out any dirt or p-tex bits left from base grinding. On the last application I scrape most of the wax off and rub out with a brass brush, a plastic brush works also.

After the ski cools, the final hot wax is done with the wax of the day (Toko yellow, red or what ever you normally use), finished by brushing it the wax out.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

You should post your "retro" T-shirts over here to raise money....
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

LMFAO
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

For a while we were taking our new skis to a local ski shop, and the guys working there were so impressed that we made our own skis, they would grind them for free. Still a pain to have to take them to the shop and leave them there for a week though.

We were lucky enough to come across a big toko base grinding machine on craigslist for $100, so that should be up and running soon :)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

twizzstyle wrote:
We were lucky enough to come across a big toko base grinding machine on craigslist for $100, so that should be up and running soon :)
What a deal! You let me know if you find another like that I will come get it for sure. Even 3 times that is a bargain.
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

chrismp wrote:i think someone lined a staircase with sandpaper and rode the snowboard down the stairs. :D
I'll jack up my car, wrap a tire in sandpaper, and toss a brick on the gas pedal. If I use studded winter tires maybe I can make a structurn base?
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits