Edge HELP

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

Edge HELP

Post by mattman »

We just finished gluing another set of edges on another base with the same failed results, the base deforms itself severely under the force of the edges. We preform the edges with a propane torch and a CNCed template. We also cut out the base using a CNCed template. Despite all this, this is our second failed base that wont fit to our core. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening. Please help!!
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

You have to clamp it to a MDF template slightly bigger than the base template. At least so big that the edge is supported. Then you clamp it to the template at the tail stretch it out and clamp it at the tip. Therafter adjust it at the middle and clamp it there to. Don´t touch it after that. Fit and glue your edges and it will work like a charm.
davide

Post by davide »

Make things easier.
You are not obliged to wrap tips and tails with edges. Just put them where are really needed. I usually cut the edges about 1.5m long.
In the last pair I made, I heat treated two 20cm long section to make them softer.

I just lay the edges on the base and glue them together with cianoacrilate, without clamping.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I had the same issue, and solved it just like lennart did, by clamping the base to a template. Once the edges are glued down, they will hold the base in the desired shape.