telesau

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sir.orange

telesau

Post by sir.orange »

they are my first pair of skis, which i made last december.

it s a cap construction following the scottybob idea of skidesign.
specs: 174cm 133/99/119mm radii 15,5m/15,8m
the core is mad of ash and abachi(2-9-2mm), i had a lot of mess with the outer stringers, because the stencil i had didn t fit to the base anymore after cutting, till today i dont know why. after hours/days of work, the mess was cut of and some new stringers attached on the already shaped core!!

the skis have a soft tip till the binding area. the binding (a bd 03) is placed with mid of sole 55% of the edge length. the area behind the binding is pretty stiff, it has some ash inforcements on the narrow part.

i also had trouble in the vacuum bag, that the upper layers of glass didn t cover the core totally. there were some spots left to see the core. the bevel of the outer stringers weren t flat enough in these areas

the graphic is printed on a jet-tex fabric. it s a light (140gr/sm) fabric used for flags and banner. while finishing the skis i had the problem that the fabric got burned by sanding it with the machine. another problem was to got it right. i had the idea to pre cut it exactly to cover the cover but not the dges so that thne glass layers could enclose the graphic completly. turned out somehow but not very nicely.

i skied them on slopes, but it was really strenuous. the inside ski always went towards the outside,w as really hard to push them their ways. i ll try them off piste next weak i think thats more suitable to them..
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Congrats on your first skis!

I've been very interested in scottybob's designs. He's definitely thinking outside the box. I was thinking about trying a modified design of his this summer. Interesting that the inside (uphill) ski wanted to go toward the outside. Maybe because you had materials that shifted causing different flex? Unsure.....

Let us know how they ski off piste.