Ski build before retirement

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

falls wrote: By the way - not taking away from what you have achieved. Very quick and impressive. The question of whether a curved profile rather than a linear taper gives you a significantly better flex pattern is probably is the key one of whether it is actually worth going to the trouble of upgrading your design.
I have no idea about this. Althoug it has come across my mind. It probably has to be tested out. I think this is the best part of "home brew" when you can experiment with almost all components!
"The coremaster 3000" will probably have some nice features!... ;)
falls

Post by falls »

You could also use hot glue or double sided tape to attach the core to the jig rather than clamping it as I imagine the clamps get in the way.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OAC

Mounted and ready for action!

Post by OAC »

Before skied...

Proud(?)(or is she just laughing?) daughter of father, proud father of skis!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The skis look great!! So who gets to ski them first? Proud Father of the skis (and daughter) or the proud daughter? Really a fantastic job!

Off topic - our local ski mountain has closed for the season. Rain moved in ealier than expected today and took the rest of the snow. It was the last weekend for them anyway. Wanted to get one last run in. We'll have to head north for the snow now.

FOGs rule!

SKI ON!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thanks Desmond(?)!

I'm going to be in Chamonix next week and try them out. I will do the "Grand montets test"! 2000 vertical meters ,I dont know how you say it in english, but in the metric system it's alot! You will be informed in the trip forum! If they pass I will be very very lucky! Otherwise, it was fun doing the project and I learned alot!

BTW, they came out alright, but with some flaws. I thought they should be white! But the white got sucked in to the epoxi, only the text where left." FOG - font - size" BTW...;-).
And a slip with the router. I won't show you. Too embarrissing... :oops:
But it's just cosmetic! Won't happen again!...:-)

Cheers
JanneP
Richardkar

Post by Richardkar »

Hey Janne!

Those skis look really nice! I'm glad to see that it worked out for you:)!
Can't wait to see them "live"!!

Have a nice trip and ski them hard;)
/Richard
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

2000 meters is a long trip down (2187 yards or 6561 feet). Longest I've ever done is 4000 feet at Jackson Hole Wyoming many years ago. Chamonix what a way to test a ski!

I've made 5 skis this season. All have some kind of minor flaws but all ski pretty good, thats the real test. I had a router slip also where the base of the router, because it's age and vibrations, slowly changed the depth of the bit and I ended up with a 3inch section that was too deep to accomodate the metal edge in the tail section. I used the core anyway and that area got filled in with epoxy and it's holding just fine.

Gives us report on the skis and Chamonix.

Steve Desmond
Idris

Post by Idris »

skidesmond wrote:2000 meters is a long trip down (2187 yards or 6561 feet). Longest I've ever done is 4000 feet at Jackson Hole Wyoming many years ago. Chamonix what a way to test a ski!

Gives us report on the skis and Chamonix.

Steve Desmond
Just in case a ski needs a proper test in Cham we do have the Aiguille Du Midi 2820 meters per lap ;)
OAC

Post by OAC »

I take that one on wednesday!...If I and the skis passes Grand Montets...:-)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'm jealuos!
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

I think the semi-transparent white looks awesome! You did a great job on your cores and it's a nice touch to be able to see the quality in them. And routers...I think EVERYONE has had one slip on them. 25-30,000 rpm doesn't leave much room for error.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Thanks! Routers are scary!