Edges in layup

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Drew

Edges in layup

Post by Drew »

I have seen a few videos from different how it's made sites and seen that some major manufacturers(Elan and Dynastar for sure) don't attach the edges to the base until the lay up process. I see some potential issues with this but I was wondering if anyone has used this method.
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

i think its safe to say that the vast majority or maybe even all the builders on this site attach the edges to the base first. we don't have CNC benders to bend the edges exactly enough for doing the layup like that.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you also need perfect temperature control.
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I noticed the same thing about the edges in the dynastar video. Which raised a lot of obvious questions. I also noticed that they use a mold to give the ski a 3-d look on the top. The bottom mold must be made to accommodate the edges and hold them in place.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Yes just a diffrent version of the 3d cap cassette method, an example of what can be done on a multi million dollar budget
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Pretty sure they use magnetic layup tables to hold those edges in place in the cassette as well for the multimileeeeon dollar steeze.