Graf Snowboards program Odd results?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

tonyt

Graf Snowboards program Odd results?

Post by tonyt »

I used the Graf snowboard program to draw up a set of skis. When I look at the resulting DXF file the width of the board at the waist does not match the calculated waist width. DXF file gives 98mm compared to 91mm designed. This may not sound a lot but the radius of the ski as designed is 26m and the resulting ski would have a radius of 38m. I've checked a few skis around the house and they are always the same width as printed on the ski and the radii mostly work out pretty close. Since I was going to get the template numerically cut I wanted to check carefully before cutting the material. Has anyone noticed this or got any comments?

Thanks Tony
Slarver

Post by Slarver »

I had the same problem with the snowcad program. I did not get as drastic of results, I had an 85mm waist that was expanded to a 87mm waist. It made very little difference in the radius so I just went with it. I did notice that the tips and tails were correct widths. So what you can do is create your ski in snowcad and then transfer it to dxf. Then it is pretty quick and easy to correct the problem by making new sidewall arc's with the arc tool. If you want to find out more on this dan from graf snowboards is ussaully very helpful.

KO
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

hey tony,

yeah i noticed that problem with the old version. but i didn't notice the problem when using the newest version. everything seemed to export fine into the .dxf file.

but if you're still having problems, simply click on the sidecut once you've imported the file into your regular CAD program. the entire sidecut should get highlighted all at once allowing you to delete it. redraw another in its place with the 3-point arc tool. with the program i use (Turbocad) you can manually enter each location of the arc points to get an accurate sidecut.

hope this helps.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)