Fabric Ski Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zeno

Fabric Ski Press

Post by zeno »

I also decided to make a fabric Skipress and because getting cordura sewed in austria is not that easy i went to a local Surfshop.

They sewed your me these bags out of a canvas and they seamed not to be so bad (but i don’t know the exactly name of the fabric) .
But wenn I tested them on my ski press they stretched nearly 8cm ( the circumference without air was 75 cm and with air nearly 83cm)
Have you had better experiences with cordura or is this normal?
plywood

Re: Fabric Ski Press

Post by plywood »

nope, this isn`t normal i guess. never happened to me.

BUT: i can`t say it won`t happen with cordura.

BECAUSE: every tissue has a running direction. when a tissue get`s woven the longitudinal fibres are streched and the ones running across move up and down "around" those longitudinally streched filaments. and because they go up and down around those filaments they are not that much under tension and they are longer than the streched ones.

if you sew together the tissue with running direction following the direction of the load you won`t have any problems. but if you take the direction where the filaments go up and down you`ll stretch those filaments which makes the tissue "relax" and longer.

and now in german:
jeder stoff hat eine laufrichtung. die längsfäden eines stoffes werden beim weben gespannt und die querfäden werden dann zwischen den gespannten längsfäden hindurchgefädelt - wie eine art slalom. dadurch sind diese fäden nicht gespannt und legen den längeren weg zurück. wenn du den stoff richtig zusammennähst, also mit den bereits gestreckten längsfäden in belastungsrichtung, dann sollte sich da nichts mehr dehnen und länger werde. falls du aber die querfäden in belastungsrichtung zusammennähst kanns durchaus sein, dass das ganze unter druck länger wird - da die "slalomfäden" nun gerade gezogen werden.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
zeno

Post by zeno »

Yes I think I have this problem with my fabric too.
My question:
do you think it is a problem if the fabric streches?
Do this effect the pressure?
I use a catrack.
German:
Glaube genau das Problem habe ich mit meinem Gewebe auch, da es wahrscheinlich in der "falschen Richtung" genäht ist.
Glaubst du das das ein Problem darstellt wenn sich das Gewebe dehnt?