Ski Press and Adjustable Mold design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bullion mine

Ski Press and Adjustable Mold design

Post by bullion mine »

I am building an I-Beam Ski Press and I am wondering what the recommended cavity height should be. Big Kams Kublai Press is 13". Big Cam are you happy with that or would you change it if you could do it again.
I have seen some examples of adjustable molds but I would appreciate any links especially with pictures of molds that some of you really like.

Thanks
Kurtis
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

13 is probably ok. Check out this thread.... The height depends on factors such as the height of the molds, cat tracks, etc.

viewtopic.php?t=2078
vinman

Post by vinman »

I went with 14 based on available material and after consulting here and with a friend who know a lot about this stuff. Plus having a bit more room that a bit to little room is probably better since there is a bunch of stuff that will need to fit in there. Plus if it is too big I can always shim everything with some lumber under the molds.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
nick

Post by nick »

I actually just finished my top mold last night. Its super cool. I am using Rectangular beams 6"x8" so i got a 12" tall cavity. That is what Happy Monkey did, I believe because I was really inspired by his design so I mimicked it as much as i could. My top mold was made to be adjustable and strong. I didnt want to use any tools on my press at all when i was making boards so i got a sweet pipe clamp that runs through the center unlike a long bolt like most others are putting in theirs. so it literally takes me 5 seconds to switch it from size to size, lock it all up and without any tools at all. :D
kmdhart

Ski Press

Post by kmdhart »

That is a great idea. I'm going to try that.