Can I use this for a vacuum press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

metsrule008

Can I use this for a vacuum press

Post by metsrule008 »

Can I use the following two things on a vacuum press as a substitution to a vacuum pump or refrigerator compressor

flexible vacuum hose plugged into a vacuum wall inlet [please google both, I couldnt attach URLs b/b I havent met requirements yet]

???? Thanks a lot in advance
hafte

Post by hafte »

It would work fine. The only thing I know that could be an issue is that most vacuums use the air pulled in through the hose to cool the motor in the vacuum. Not sure if that is an issue to a central vac (if i'm reading right that would be your plan?).

I have read some articles where a guy did just that. He would buy cheap vacuums and run them until they died. Then just get a new one. Getting a good seal may be a challenge though.
metsrule008

Post by metsrule008 »

hafte wrote:Getting a good seal may be a challenge though.
yea, I realized that... anytips ideas, besides a sh*t-load of heavy dudy tape [which I once used to connect the vacuum to the hose, and worked relatively well]
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Get vacuum bagging tape, don't use duct tape. Bagging tape is a thick almost putty like substance.
metsrule008

Post by metsrule008 »

also, because I am officially channging this thread to me just firing out any and all questions (thanks for the answers :D ), so my first question is what is a good, cheat vacuum bagging film to buy online [links please]
Steevner

Post by Steevner »

find yourself some butyl tape, aka vacuum bag tape. It's a rubbery, squishable, and air-tight tape. I think it's also used for roofing, if that makes it any easier to source.

I actually use it with a vacuum bag that I can remove the vacuum source from, and it will hold perfectly.
metsrule008

List of items so far

Post by metsrule008 »

Needed Materials for Vacuum Press:
Table (√ Already have)
MDF for Bottom Mold ($14.24)
Vacuum Film ($119.99)
Vacuum tape ($13.99)
A planer to cut the core $?
Epoxy Resin ($34.25)
The cores $?
Fiberglass $?
Rubber tip stopper $?
Sidewalls $?

Obviously that is not everything, but what am i missing, and somebody please give links to the items with good prices.... thanks
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Wait, are you asking if you can use a central vac to bag skis?

The answer to that is no...
metsrule008

Post by metsrule008 »

krp8128 wrote:Wait, are you asking if you can use a central vac to bag skis?

The answer to that is no...
yes, that was the question, and thank you for answering!!!
Idris

Post by Idris »

Simple answer is no, not enough vacuum pressure - you could use it to pull the initial vacuum quickly, then change over to a refrigerant pump to pull the depth of vacuum - my refrigerator pup is slow