Descent Snowboards 2011 - 2012

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

EricW

Descent Snowboards 2011 - 2012

Post by EricW »

Well, not exactly snowboards yet. But that's the name I'll be using. I've finally faced the reality that my regular job simply won't provide enough capital to kick start this thing. So since everyone has to start somewhere, I'm starting with waxing, tuning and repair. With any luck it'll produce enough revenue to move into full blown board building in a relatively short time period.

I also just bought a house and my band saw didn't survive the move. Maybe that's God's way of telling me not to buy cheap tools from Home Depot but I kinda doubt it. Either way it has to be replaced before I can build more blanks.

The shop is also a disaster as I haven't had time to put it together yet. Maybe this weekend...

So, without further delay since I know you all want pics, here's my iron!

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

my day job pays less than most.
I bet you have more expenses than me so theres that.
You gotta go cheap to get it rolling.
I have never used a bandsaw for over 30 pair.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Nice to see you back EW. Congrats on the house. Is that a Toko? ;D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Hey, that's nicer then my iron! I have a walmart special.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Been futzing around with a new bench. I've never had a good sturdy spot for doing any service work which has been a major irritation.

I went with a removable spoilboard. Its easier to replace the top than trying to clean wax.

Working out a deal with the local Play-it-again sports to do all their service work so hopefully it'll see a lot of use this winter. Snow's commin'!

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

EricW - That's a great idea to get started. I really should get a real iron too. Mine is a travel iron.
Xenia

Post by Xenia »

Loving the brushie, good luck with the venture.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I hope you can get into this soon. I was following your progress pretty closely around the beginning of last year. I was hoping to have something to show for all my work by last summer. Didn't happen. House disasters and new baby happened. I've been fitting it in here and there though. I'll eventually have something to post in a journal. Good luck with the repair shop. Hopefully it'll bring in enough coin to support the hobby.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Thanks, for the support. My house has also been getting in the way of any real progress on my endeavors. I'm trying to convince my wife I need heat blankets with our tax return. Pretty sure my definition of "need" is different than hers :)
EricW

Post by EricW »

It's been nearly 6 months since we bought the house and the shop is finally looking like something more than a bomb site. It's a small 2 car garage that is nearly 100 years old. It was about 5 inches out of plumb until we pulled it straight with a come-a-long attached to my truck. The floor itself slopes about 5 inches front to back.

The truing lever on my band saw broke during the move. I think I came up with an acceptable fix for now. I may have to upgrade to a grade 8 bolt if this one doesn't hold but for now it seems to be ok.

We added the OSB to keep it straight and have a wall to attach things to. Also added much needed power receptacles. Come spring I'll bury a wire and run a 50 amp sub-panel out there. As it is now. I'm running 1 20 amp circuit and and extension chord from the house on another 20 amp circuit.

The in and out feed tables for the planar are 1 3/4 Oak doors taken out of a hotel that we just replaced with nicer oak doors. The workbench from one of the above posts will serve as an out feed table for the table saw and also for doing layups.

Unfortunately the press isn't much more than a shelf at he moment but it should be cleaned off and put together in a few weeks.

All coming together just in time for the season to end, which is fine. Getting the shop organized has been quite a bit of fun and a lot of work. I hope in about 5 years I will tear the whole thing down and build a 4 car castle. Then my wife will have somewhere to park :)

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Bummer about your band saw, but I like your fix! Nice work!

When I bought my house, getting my shop all furnished and setup was a huge project in itself. It's a lot of fun having all of your visions come to life though, and you end up with a wonderful space to spend your time. My shop was already finished, it was just a matter of building working surfaces and arranging things... and buying lots of large tools :)

If I could give one bit of advice from my experience - don't skimp on the lighting. My shop is fully sheetrocked/painted, has an off-white epoxy floor, and lots of the work benches/tables have white tops... I've got five 2-bulb fixed flourescent fixtures, one 4-bulb fixed fixture, and two 2-bulb hanging fixtures... and I still wish I had more lights :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Looks like a workshop to me. Since you're running a new line to the garage don't skimp there either if you can help it. I have 2 dedicated 20amp breakers to my shop plus a 20 amp line that feeds my room and another room in the basement, which is hardly ever used except to gather overflow from my shop and the rest of the house. Lights are on a separate circuit. May need more once I get a heat blanket running, to be determined.

Looks like you have a decent set of tools already.
FrontierSkis

Post by FrontierSkis »

Love the idea of having your planner built into the table space, makes for tapering cores alot easier I am sure... our process is a two man job right now... but i may be adapting this method shortly. Keep up the good work on the shop, its a great feeling when it starts to come together.
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Looking good Eric!
I've been in my house for 3 years now and I still have move crap left in my shop...