[Chartreuse] Another Touring ski (v2), new press, new cnc !

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

YvesSPDC

[Chartreuse] Another Touring ski (v2), new press, new cnc !

Post by YvesSPDC »

Frenchies are back !

New press more pressure, still water driven (now 7 bars = 100psi).

New skis design, better look, lighter, softer also for better touring ...
New cnc (took me the last 6 months, and probably the next 6 month to finish it properly).

First ski (one by one) Just out of the press !!!

The project : :

The hole have been removed (or filled in this case).

Water input

Easy for the edges with a cnc ;-)

Cutting the base

Core profiling (will be improved when machine is finish)

La nouvelle presse ! 7bars !

Tainting the cores.

Bindings are ready to be fixed ! Aligned !

Next soon, next Week end ...

Cheers from chartreuse
Yves,
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I like the core, very interesting... Can you provide more details? Did you use a router bridge to achieve the 3-d cut out? The core looks beefy, what are the tip,midsection and tail thickness? Also what did you use between the base and core, looks like carbon fiber. And lastly how did you manage to keep the base from shifting or core from shifting. Since the core looks like it is in it's finished shape, alignment must have been super critical.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I like your press!
Can you give details on your layup? It seems you have nothing on top of the core?
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

skidesmond wrote:I like the core, very interesting... Can you provide more details? Did you use a router bridge to achieve the 3-d cut out?
Some hints for the 3D cut :

skidesmond wrote: The core looks beefy, what are the tip,midsection and tail thickness? Also what did you use between the base and core, looks like carbon fiber.
Before that, let me explain the goal of this pair: light + good response + soft
The idea is that when you tour in the alps, it takes a long time to go up (for me!) and I'm tired for the way down.
So lighter => less tired,
good response => less mistakes,
soft => good for my legs.

To achieve that, the theory is, a bit more wood for the response, less fiber for the lightness and the softness.

tip tail thickness = 3mm instead of 2mm (previous pair)
"edge" wood reinforcment thickness 6mm
Midsection 11mm (the same as previous)

Fiber : aramide 220g + Carbon fiber 45/-45 + Carbon UD
Sicomin epoxy.

skidesmond wrote: And lastly how did you manage to keep the base from shifting or core from shifting. Since the core looks like it is in it's finished shape, alignment must have been super critical.
Alignemnt is in fact much easier, as you can pinch between your finger the complete layup and realign it if necessary.
Lead block have been use to keep down the layout (the wood especially) while assembling the press.

Yves,
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

gozaimaas wrote:I like your press!
Can you give details on your layup? It seems you have nothing on top of the core?
Indeed, surf clear epoxy will be added soon to protect the "core".

If needed (too soft) I will add fiber on top.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hold on .. not so fast : )) So how much did that CNC machine cost to build ??? (what I mean to say is, great job and any further information would be appreciated : )
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

Richuk wrote:Hold on .. not so fast : )) So how much did that CNC machine cost to build ??? )
Twice the budget I've allowed myself to spend when I've started it... As usual.
Richuk wrote: (what I mean to say is, great job and any further information would be appreciated : )
Thanks, I will post a full review when I will have skied them.

The second ski is in the press now !
jono

Post by jono »

This is awesome Yves!!!!
I like the simplicity and innovative use of materials in your press and skis.
I am curious about the balance of composite materials in your skis.

Will the composites under the core be balanced by the raised wood areas on the top of your skis or do you anticipate needing to add a layer of carbon or fiberglass to the tops of your skis?

I ask because I made an unbalanced pair of skis with 34oz fiberglass on the bottom of the cores but 18oz on the top. This has lead to enhanced camber but decreases in tip/tail rocker and a very flat tip.

What is the weight of each ski?
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

jono wrote:This is awesome Yves!!!!
I like the simplicity and innovative use of materials in your press and skis.
I am curious about the balance of composite materials in your skis.
There is first aramide layer, then carbon -45/+45 and UD carbon.
jono wrote: Will the composites under the core be balanced by the raised wood areas on the top of your skis or do you anticipate needing to add a layer of carbon or fiberglass to the tops of your skis?
That's the idea, but if the reality fail, I will add a layer of carbon on top.
jono wrote: I ask because I made an unbalanced pair of skis with 34oz fiberglass on the bottom of the cores but 18oz on the top. This has lead to enhanced camber but decreases in tip/tail rocker and a very flat tip.
Did it decrease once removed from the press, or after some time skiing it ?
jono wrote: What is the weight of each ski?
Weight is 1150g per ski. For a 120/68/110 width.

Just mount the binding, will test them hopefully this week end.
jono

Post by jono »

YvesSPDC wrote:
jono wrote: I ask because I made an unbalanced pair of skis with 34oz fiberglass on the bottom of the cores but 18oz on the top. This has lead to enhanced camber but decreases in tip/tail rocker and a very flat tip.
Did it decrease once removed from the press, or after some time skiing it ?
The tip has flattened and the camber has increased slightly since they have been used on snow.
I think that if the tension from one side of the ski to the other is out of balance then the stronger side will win. I also think that this loss of tension will make the ski less lively (mine ski like super G skis). These effects occur over time.

At any rate, I hope you are able to avoid adding any new composites to the tops of your beautiful skis.
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

Some new pictures. Inside, and by night, so a bit dark.

The skis will have a first test this week end on groomed snow, and next week in fresh snow (according to the weather forecast).

You can see the previous pair (2011), from which I'm stealing the bindings, on the floor :

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

holy shit!
looks like the bindings are mounted in last week!
Guess you through out the center of sidecut or ball of foot at 55% or a any thing else for that matter.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ha! I was going to say - I think you could have moved the bindings back a few more inches ;)

What did you do for a top coat? Doesn't look so smooth :( (I still love the overall idea of the skis though, very cool with no top composites)
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

MontuckyMadman wrote:holy shit!
looks like the bindings are mounted in last week!
Guess you through out the center of sidecut or ball of foot at 55% or a any thing else for that matter.
In fact the center of binding is on the center of the run of the ski. Normally I put 15mm more in the back, not this time.

Wide angle picture might be mileading... also the rocker part, quite long, is not part of the run ...
YvesSPDC

Post by YvesSPDC »

twizzstyle wrote: What did you do for a top coat? Doesn't look so smooth :( (I still love the overall idea of the skis though, very cool with no top composites)
I'm gonna sand it and redo the top coat properly (epoxy surf clear).

My mistake was to cure the top coat in the oven. It made a sort of werid foam.
Manufacturer said that I should wait 8h at room temperature before curing this epoxy.

I will test the skis first, no need for a perfect finish if I need to put fiber on top ...