bladder gaps?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Camania

bladder gaps?

Post by Camania »

I'm using two 8 inch lay flat hoses side by side for my bladder. do I need to have a gap between them? i plan on clamping them both with one 18 inch angle iron pieces. if i need a gap what should it be?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I dont think you need a gap really. I cant see anything bad happening if they touch.
A few mm gap wont hurt either.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You can put them right next to each other without a problem. I have three hoses in my press.
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

If the bladders overlap will it cause uneven pressure?
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

How would you have your bladders overlap? You wouldn't want that in any matter.

If you space out your bladder a bit it won't hurt as long as the pressure is concentrated evenly over the cat.

Just do what everyone else is doing. Use Google images to see.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snowboa ... r&tbm=isch
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

How would you have your bladders overlap? You wouldn't want that in any matter.

If you space out your bladder a bit it won't hurt as long as the pressure is concentrated evenly over the cat.

Just do what everyone else is doing. Use Google images to see.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snowboa ... r&tbm=isch
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

Unfortunately, my new press which replaced a first generation quick cheap and dirty press, is not as wide as my original and the hoses are now too wide. 15" wide press space, 2x 9" layflat hose. My three options as I see it are:

1. buy new hose.
2. use one hose
3. overlap the hoses.

Finding and buying new hose would be ideal but I'd rather not spend the money until I get everyting else dialed in. Using one hose seems like it would have too much pressure in the middle and not enough on the edges. by overlapping the hoses I can cover the entire 15" surface. Intuition tells me that the overlapping portions should create even pressure but it nags at me because I can't figure the math to back me up.
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

Unfortunately, my new press which replaced a first generation quick cheap and dirty press, is not as wide as my original and the hoses are now too wide. 15" wide press space, 2x 9" layflat hose. My three options as I see it are:

1. buy new hose.
2. use one hose
3. overlap the hoses.

Finding and buying new hose would be ideal but I'd rather not spend the money until I get everyting else dialed in. Using one hose seems like it would have too much pressure in the middle and not enough on the edges. by overlapping the hoses I can cover the entire 15" surface. Intuition tells me that the overlapping portions should create even pressure but it nags at me because I can't figure the math to back me up.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Are you using a cattrack?

Are you pressing skis or snowboards? If skis, do you two at a time?

One hose with a cat track should be ok, but you'll have to double the pressure to get the same pressing force you were getting with one hose.

Overlapping sounds like bad news to me. I'd go with one hose, or get new hoses.
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

Camania, sorry for hijacking your thread, I hope you are getting the answers you need through all of this as well.

Twizz
The plan is to press 2 skis at a time. I am using a cat track.

I inflatted the overlapped hoses this past weekend and all seemed OK, although I can't see the overlap under pressure as it is hidden within the mold sandwich.