My Edge Bender

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Use steel, aluminum would get nicked up over time from the hardened steel edges. I just got a cheap scrap piece of 2" steel stock from my local steel shop, stainless probably would have been better just for rust but I'll see how these do first.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

falls wrote: I haven't played with any edge material as yet, but it the thing in the back of my mind that is most daunting.
so funny. It's the easiest part, really. I don't know why so many people make it in to this big ordeal.

By hand I can bend one edge from straight to shape in a few minutes. With the plastic wheels (which have a bevel that the edge fits in, the edge spline fits between the wheels) it takes maybe 30 seconds less, but is easier on the hands.

Spending a bunch of money on having something machined is ludicrous imo.

(unless you have girly girl hands).....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

doughboyshredder wrote: (unless you have girly girl hands).....
<----- this guy.

Also, in my defense, a snowboard is one thing (nice big radius curves) but a ski tip is much narrower so getting a nice flat consistent bend when you have to bend it that much can be very hard (and hurts my girly hands). So to me it was well worth it! :)
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Hi all.

I tried the washer method and came up with some skinny washers that were too small for the edge to fit in between. Did anyone else use any spacers or run into the same problem. I then decided to try fender washers and 1/2 washers, to see if that would give me the right height. Does anyone have any input or suggestions.

(I am probably going to drill some 1/2 holes in some thin metal shim material. But I won't be at work until tomorrow). Until then, I am looking for answers. Thanks!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I just cut off a couple of tangs of a leftover piece of edge and superglued them around the centre of a washer to get the correct spacing.