how to make molds customizable

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nick

how to make molds customizable

Post by nick »

Hey guys, I am about to make some molds for my snowboards. I want to be able to make a wide variety of molds for sizes and different types of camber (positive, negative, and s-camber). Is there a good way of just making the tips of the boards mold and then making the bottom inter-changable so i can put different types of camber on different sizes of boards with out needing to make 3 sets of molds for each size?

Do you find it necessary to make the top mold exactly identical to the bottom if it is a pneumatic press w/ fire hose? it would be nice if i could just make one general top mold to come down on the fire hose and not have to build a different one every time. Basically, I want to make the molds as cheap as possible, with a large variety, and quick and easy to swap out. Any ideas?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've seen some awesome adjustable molds on here, its something we really want to tackle, having a mold for each different ski you make is kinda crappy, they take up lots of space and are heavy!

For the top mold you are exactly right, it doesn't have to be an exact match at all, as long as you aren't like inches off, there will still be plenty of room for the hose to expand.

Me and my roommate are very different heights, and as such make very different skis (mine are ~160cm, his are ~180cm). We had a top mold piece that was the right length for my short skis, cut it in half, and when we press his skis we just fill the gap in the middle with spacer blocks (8" long sections of 2x4 basically). Works great.
nick

Post by nick »

well what about the bottom part? what can I do to that that so I can build multiple boards at multiple lengths and cambers? is it possible to build like a flat mold with say positive camber and then just slide tails up or down the mold in order to make longer and shorter boards.... do you think that would work?
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Nick,

Seriously, do you read anything on this site before posting? Have you ever searched?

All you are doing by posting threads like this is cluttering up things for people who actually bother to search. look a round for topics, and if you are still confused bump an old thread.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

nick wrote:well what about the bottom part? what can I do to that that so I can build multiple boards at multiple lengths and cambers? is it possible to build like a flat mold with say positive camber and then just slide tails up or down the mold in order to make longer and shorter boards.... do you think that would work?
Really this is the stupidest question I have ever seen posted on here. I have to assume that you haven't read a damn thing on this site. WTF?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

doughboyshredder wrote:
nick wrote:well what about the bottom part? what can I do to that that so I can build multiple boards at multiple lengths and cambers? is it possible to build like a flat mold with say positive camber and then just slide tails up or down the mold in order to make longer and shorter boards.... do you think that would work?
Really this is the stupidest question I have ever seen posted on here. I have to assume that you haven't read a damn thing on this site. WTF?
The really sad part is this ins't the first time he has been told this...