formica topsheet

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ralston

formica topsheet

Post by ralston »

has anybody run formica as a topsheet?
SHIF

Re: formica topsheet

Post by SHIF »

ralston wrote:has anybody run formica as a topsheet?
I pondered this idea a while ago and concluded that Formica or any other such laminate material is too brittle. It would look good coming out of the mold but probably get all busted to heck the first day on the mountain.

-S
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

That stuff seams really strong. I bet it would add some initial stiffness. I think it would hold fine but chip at the edges pretty bad but I bet it would last a while.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I know it's an old thread... But I had the same thought today. I have some reservations about how it would be in cold weather, ie crack, delam.

There's some really cool looking Formica such as granite, marble, etc. Could really turn heads. If the underside is abraded I think it would adhere ok to the other materials.

It's certainly thicker than most top sheets so it could have some effect on the overall flex/stiffness of the ski/snowboard.

This will go on "some day" list.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I was offered this stuff for free a while back and turned it down. Same fears as stated above. I think it would end up brittle.
Post results after you complete your "some day" list....
ra
jellyfish

Post by jellyfish »

yes thin stuff .7mm is better less stiffness no cracking or chipping
jellyfish

Post by jellyfish »

yes thin stuff .7mm is better less stiffness no cracking or chipping
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I got some Home-Depot gift cards so I was off to get some Formica, remnants if possible. All they had was 4x8 sheets at $54. It's way more Formica than I want to have hanging around in the basement for the next 5 years. No remnants. So I passed on it. There's a custom kitchen cabinet shop and a small lumber yard that I'll hit up tomorrow.

I plan on recycling a pair of skis by ripping off the cloth top sheet and using Formica in it's place.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I scored some Formica from a local kitchen/bath designer. It looks like granite. He was pretty intrigued w/ the idea. I was all psyched to lay it up tonight an realized I haven't finished my new cat track. Should have something to show be the end of the week.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Formica doesn't work. I sanded down the flame skis. I wanted to put a new top sheet on anyway. I used Richuk's idea of the match sticks. I glued little blocks of wood to the under side of the Formica. That part worked great!

Before layup:

Put them in the press over night. When I took them out this morning I noticed a separation right away at the tip.

And the tail which broke when I lifted it:

No sense in delaying the inevitable. The Formica peeled off easily:

I'll put new flames on them some day.

Learned something else. The epoxy either ate through or melted the plastic cup. It also got very hot to the touch. This was about after 45min-1hr after layup. I could touch only for a couple of seconds at most. I heard before (OAC?) that epoxy will give off some heat as it sets but I had no idea it got that hot. (mixed way to much too)

On to the cheetah-dachshunds skis!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

... (had a double post) ....
Last edited by skidesmond on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
thefreshpimpofbigair

Post by thefreshpimpofbigair »

exo-thermic reaction
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yup, epoxy does that. we had one jar with epoxy cooking in it. cracked the glass after a couple of minutes.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

the fumes it out gases when it kicks are toxic. Always put any left over epoxy that is mixed up outside.
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

I pour the epoxy in a pie pan after mixing so it doesn't do that :o