Sell Me Your Ski Press

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

icanskifasterthanyou

Sell Me Your Ski Press

Post by icanskifasterthanyou »

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you know that I am in the market for a ski press so go ahead and PM me if your interested. I already emailed a lot of you guys, but I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know!!!
J

Post by J »

do you want one complete, or partially complete so you can build one yourself? and your location would be a bit of good info.
icanskifasterthanyou

I live in southern Oregon, so calculate your shipping with that in mind also I would prefer that it's built and ready to go. But as long as it's mostly done I'd be fine with that.

You can reach me at icanskifasterthanyou44ATgmailDOTcom
J

Post by J »

shipping would be brutal.
icanskifasterthanyou

Really, where are you?
nick

Post by nick »

yeah man especially if it's a metal I-beam pneumatic press. I don't know for sure but I would imagine shipping would be almost the cost of what it would be to build your own (depending on how far your shipping it of course).
icanskifasterthanyou

Your probably right, but I'd be willing to drive a bit and I also have some buddies at UPS, so mabye I could work something out... It all depends on how big/heavy the press is.
icanskifasterthanyou

Hey guys I just got off the phone with the UPS guy, and he said that as long as its under 150 pounds shipping to Southern Oregon is only gonna be about $160. He said that if its more than that I could take it apart slightly, so that its in two (or even three if you have a I beam press) different packages so that its lighter. Keep in mind that my sample rate was New York, to Oregon, so thats pretty much the worst its gonna get money wise.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

icanskifasterthanyou wrote:Hey guys I just got off the phone with the UPS guy, and he said that as long as its under 150 pounds shipping to Southern Oregon is only gonna be about $160. He said that if its more than that I could take it apart slightly, so that its in two (or even three if you have a I beam press) different packages so that its lighter. Keep in mind that my sample rate was New York, to Oregon, so thats pretty much the worst its gonna get money wise.
Are you serious? Have you looked at ANY of the presses here?

With some of the really nice ones you would be lucky to be under 1500 pounds..

Tell you what, for $3000 I will fly out there and put one together for you. Deal?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I have a space press made out of steel 2" square and only the steel was more than 300 pounds when I went to get it... A heavy I beam press is at least 1000 pound + molds + bladder&cattrack....
I bought all the steel needed for the press for less than 150$... it takes a couple days to cut and assemble everything + some time for the mold and bladder. I think it's way cheaper to do it yourself, and it would be custom.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
icanskifasterthanyou

Ha ha I guess your all right. Its just I am to lazy to build my own :D
guess there are no short cuts in life.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

I would build it yourself as well as source the steel locally. The steel of my press alone (i-beams) weighs in around 1300 lbs+. Which could only be delivered via freight, amounting to one hell of a delivery charge. To build one isnt really that hard, I dare say its alot easier to build than building skis. Think of the capacity you want and sketch it up a few times, and get your design worked out and do it up. (Search the forums religiously, most likely any question you have has been answered already).
If you opt for a light weight tube steel press there are many examples to go off of in here.

If you go the i-beam route have a look at my build for a reference http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1416 or a few others.. (bigKam's http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=668 ) ..(Headmonkey's http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=#2970 ) just to name a few.

Good Luck
~ Matt
nick

Post by nick »

Yeah, and even if you were to have a press mailed to you in pieces, you would have to assemble it anyways... which would practically be the same as building it yourself. And from what I have seen other people make, there presses are built to their style and technique of building. You may have different techniques to build and also build around designs that appear to have specific flaws that you may think you could improve upon. And that is what we are all here for, everyone on here is awesome for helping out and improving upon other's designs. That's how our sport has evolved so much. But yeah, my metal alone is over 700 lbs just for 4 I-beams. Also, like it was said before, building a press is the least of your worries compared to building the actual boards/skis.
Damon

Post by Damon »