Rossi- WRS

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Rossi- WRS

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Weight Reduction System
Patented fiberglass sock design. The strands of fiber in the core and fiberglass are aligned with the sidecut shape; the core has an increased concentration of fibers under the foot, with less density in the tip and tail. The lighter weight at the extremities gives the skier improved balance, rotation and higher boosts, while the dense concentration of fibers under foot maintain stability for more snap on take-offs and landings. This new orientation optimizes flex and reduces weight by 400g (S4), 600g (S5), 800g (S6) and 1,000g (S7).

Sounds like a stretchy glass sock. Serious weigh savings no?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

sounds just like a fiberglass sock, less stretched out in the middle. Funny explanation.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

doughboyshredder wrote:sounds just like a fiberglass sock, less stretched out in the middle. Funny explanation.
Makes perfect sense, the waist of the ski is narrow, and the sock will sit at it's minor diameter. To fit the wide tip and tail, the sock get's stretched out to it's major diameter, expanding the weave resulting in less dense fibers in that area.

Got to love the marketing departments!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

does anyone here utilize this type of sock glass? I want some.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

I've got some carbon from these guys

http://sollercomposites.com/
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hmm. interesting they have those sleve types in glass biax and carbon/glass biax blends of different diameters. I wonder what weights light heavy and med apply to.
I bet rosssi is using a triax sleeve type thing.
THanks K!
davide

Post by davide »

They introduced this thing few years ago.
It is very easy to make it at home. For example, if your ski is 80mm wide at waist and 120 mm wide at tip, just use a unidirectional glass tape 80mm wide: the fiber density (glass/ski width) will be higher in the middle than at tip and tail. Then use standard biaxial glass for torsion reinforcement.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

davide wrote:They introduced this thing few years ago.
It is very easy to make it at home. For example, if your ski is 80mm wide at waist and 120 mm wide at tip, just use a unidirectional glass tape 80mm wide: the fiber density (glass/ski width) will be higher in the middle than at tip and tail. Then use standard biaxial glass for torsion reinforcement.
I am assuming you mean in addition to the triax?
Idris

Post by Idris »

krp8128 wrote:
Nope, I think he means Uni + Biax = triax...triax glass isn't always easy to get hold of depending on where in the world you make skis
davide

Post by davide »

Idris wrote:
krp8128 wrote:
Nope, I think he means Uni + Biax = triax...triax glass isn't always easy to get hold of depending on where in the world you make skis
Right, I was used to buy UD and biax and then combine them to get a triax.