Creating Definitions and Terms: Ski Building Glossary

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

Creating Definitions and Terms: Ski Building Glossary

Post by bigKam »

Little Kam, Kelvin and i would like to compile a list of terms and definitions to add to the "How to" section of SB. our goal is to clearly define certain terms, such as cord center, running length, shovel/tail radius of curvature, etc. it would be nice to have a list of the useful terms and their definitions, and the reason for doing this is to standardize the language to avoid confusion. for example, what exactly do we mean when we say "drill a hole at cord center?" toward this goal, i would like to ask members of this community to help contribute definitions and terms, and we should work together to establish well-defined terms. this project that will evolve over time...

so, let's have it...
endre

Post by endre »

And a standard for how to mesure stiffness (the easy way) and how to visualize flexpatterns! that would be really helpfull, and make us able to actually communicate aout these things.
kohlrabi

Post by kohlrabi »

This is a good idea.

I think setting up a wiki for this would be a perfect way for everyone to contribute.
collin

Post by collin »

If people want to set up a wiki, pbwiki.com is free and takes just a minute to set up.

So easy, I just set one up. http://skibuilders.pbwiki.com

You need to enter a password to edit, it's "diyskis"...

Useful? One important thing is a word with multiple capiltal letters like "PageAboutCamber" aautomatically generates a new page with that title.
davide

Post by davide »

About measuring the stiffness, I do in the following way: I put one ski between two wood blocks, at the same distance from the ski centre, then I stand on the ski (I weight about 70Kg) and I measure the deformation (see figure below). I do that for three distances D=70cm, 90cm and 110cm. In this way I can measure the stiffness during the fabrication steps, and adjust the construction to get the right flex.

About the flex pattern, it would be interesting to get a digital picture of the bent ski, and do some image analysis. Then it sould be possible to do some comparison.