camhard's ski building

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

camhard

camhard's ski building

Post by camhard »

So, I've finally decided to start a journal. Wasn't planning on doing it until I had a really solid product complete, but hopefully this will force me to keep moving in order to maintain interest and a position at the top of the thread list. haha.
I also think that this should come together fairly soon now.
Ill begin posting some pics and drawings on the weekend, but for now, Here's a post I just wrote on NS.

"Things are finally starting to get moving again, which is great, and means I may actually have something to show for my efforts at some point during my life. Basically, my shop has been unusable and in a transition stage for quite some time now. We finally began pouring a new slab, which is necessary for a lot of other things to happen, but then it got too cold. My backyard is still almost entirely covered with 6 or so inches of snow from December. Anyways, it got warm enough to pour again, so the floor slab should be done by the weekend, which means the sick new table saw comes in early next week. Then things will really start moving.
The tool situation is actually in really good shape. New router and laminate trimmer, table saw coming, outfeed table for the saw, new router table, high-end auto finishing spray gun and compressor this in the next week for finishing skis.
Once the floor is finished and the table saw is in, the press will get finished up as well. Right now, it is welded, as it has been for some time. The stand will get put together in the next two weeks or so, and the cat-track metal should be in next week. Hoping to paint the press with the spray gun when I get a chance. Picked up the fire hose for the bladder yesterday.
As far as materials go, I basically have everything except VDS dampening strips, epoxy and the core wood, though that shouldn't be a problem. Going with a non-heat curing resin for the first 1-2 pairs, just so we can start riding them. The heating system is a spring/summer project.
Right now, planning on doing wood veneer topsheets, screenprinted and lacquered with a super strong automotive clear-coat (hence the expensive spray gun to get a really smooth, quality finish). This should reduce weight significantly, as well as eliminate delam of the topsheet. Not sure how it will affect topsheet chipping, but im thinking/hoping it will reduce it somewhat, but only time will tell. I think it should also shed water and snow well, making it harder for snow to stick to the topsheet, which will be especially nice when touring.
That's about it for now, aside from conceptual type stuff. Working on a name right now because I didn't want to steal ZavierV's toque brand. Graphics are also presenting some issues; not really sure what to go for. I need some direction to put something together. I can do some neat stuff, but lack the ability to start with absolutely nothing; I require a problem to solve/form of inspiration. Hopefully something come together though.
With midterms coming up, as well as my LEED AP exam and the application deadline to architecture, ill be pretty damn busy, but I plan on pushing through and getting lots done on this.
Also planning on picking up some thicker base material (1.7mm) and edges for once some shapes are worked out and the process is down."
camhard

Post by camhard »

so, when I got home, my camera was dead. I charged it up and came back today though, so I've got a few pictures to add. Nothing particularly exciting, but it is a start. I thought about waiting until I was all finished, then uploading images of the whole process, but seeing as how this is a journal section, I figured I should document it in roughly real time. (the idea to build started over a year ago, and I have had most of my materials for about 1 year now, but I basically did nothing, except some limited research and concept stuff, over the summer and throughout the fall).
Anyways, here are some of the things I have so far, though there are many boring items (e.g. ski materials) that are not shown. Ill take some pictures of just about everything I'm using a little later. I'll also post a few pictures of the new table saw which arrived this morning, because I'm pretty excited about it; it's a SawStop.

Ok, I've never posted pictures on here, so I hope this works out.

The cat-track should be in soon, and I'll finish up the molds, so those can also get posted. I have to get one little thing added to the top of the press, which could slow things down, but hopefully the frame can be painted up by the end of the month. After that, it should pretty much be ready to go. I plan on using a similar system to Monkey Snowboards for the bladder (thanks for the detailed info on how you did that). I plan on putting some 'plumbing' and electrical inside the frame, so that I will be able to simply plug the press in and hook up the air to it. Hopefully it looks clean and works out. Again, I'm looking at the end of the month for that to be complete as well, but I'll post pictures and updates as it progresses.
Last edited by camhard on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
camhard

Post by camhard »

uh oh. my pictures didn't work out... Ill try and work on it tomorrow. I really have to study right now and have already spent too much time here. sorry, hopefully it'll be fixed soon.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

click on all sizes first and then grab the url. For some reason the url for pics on flicker don't work until you are at the all sizes page.

that's why this doesn't work :
but this does
camhard

Post by camhard »

Thanks. took me a little while, but I got it. More pics to come soon.
camhard

Post by camhard »

okay, so I thought I would have some more to show, but it is taking longer than anticipated for the spray gun, etc. to arrive, so it will be a little longer. I probably shouldn't have started this until I was done. But, like I said, I want people to be able to look at the dates and understand the time that this takes (at least for me).