From Hobby to Business

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

From Hobby to Business

Post by krp8128 »

As mentioned in another journal entry, I have begun to produce and sell skis on a very limited basis. I would love to go full bore, but I still have another year of college to wade through and am 8hrs away from most of my equipment.

I started by posting a thread at www.epicski.com offering custom skis for sale. I decided to sell them as custom in order to build up a design inventory, and to entice people to buy from me. I anticipated just a few orders, but boy was I wrong. I quickly had 4 or 5 confirmed orders with a deposit placed, and had to put 15+ people on a wailtist, all with only one ski to show. Since I have delivered the first 2 pairs, interest has picked up again.

My prices were set according to a few options (base, graphics, core, epoxy) and were essentially set for me to break even. Of course, you can't budget for everything, and I definitely went over budget on the first two, but they buyer was beyond understanding and sent me extra funds for stone grinding and just so that I could clear some money in the end.

Now the good part, the skis!

Details:

Pair 1, modeled after the Line Prophet

134-100-125, 178cm lenght
Blue Bases
Full length VDS strips with tip and tail VDS
22 Triax
Maple and Poplar core, vertically laminated and bookmatched
Maple sidewalls
22 oz. Triax
Sublimated graphics topsheet

Pair 2, modeled after the Armada ARW

114-82-104, 165cm Length
4001 Black Bases
Full length VDS strips with tip and tail VDS
22 Triax
Maple and Poplar core, vertically laminated and bookmatched
Maple sidewalls
22 oz. Triax
Sublimated graphics topsheet

sammer

Post by sammer »

Nice one :D

I've had dozens of legitimate offers on my everydayfatties.
But so far I'm not too sure how they are going to stand up to the abuse.
I put demo bindings on them and have been lending them to everyone I can.
5 people besides me have skied on them, all with big grins and positive feedback.
Hopefully they will get 100 days on them this year.
If after that they are still holding together then I'll sell a few pairs to generate cash to buy more materials.
The part I'm having problems with is what are they worth? I know approximately what they cost, not including my labour.

I'm not sure I want to start a ski company, Like any hobby as soon as it becomes work it loses its appeal.
But with the response I've gotten just thru word of mouth, it may happen whether I plan to or not.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I am going full bore. riding the wave so to speak. My dream is to quit construction and ride everyday, while building nights.

good luck, and the best of wishes.........................

In regards to what they are worth, the answer is what people are willing to pay.

I plan on having some models available in the, gasp............... 5,000.00+ range.

Charge as much as possible.