Balloon (fire hose) Press Construction

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Balloon (fire hose) Press Construction

Post by melvs »

For the fire hose, how is it set up? I was told there are 2 hoses side by side, How did you go about clamping the ends so that it holds air? how did you insert the air hoses into it, and what kinda hose did you use?

Also, when setting it up, do you just place the bottom mold down, ski materials on it, then the hoses, then the top mold, then just inflate the bags?
-Pat
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

For the fire hose, how is it set up? I was told there are 2 hoses side by side
depending on how big your hose is, you might need two hoses if you decide to build a press that presses a pair of skis at a time. typically, you'll want to find a 5" diameter fire hose. when it's flat, it's pretty wide and can easy cover an area for one ski during the pressing process.

you can also build a press for just one ski and make one ski at a time. this option is often times easiers, and plus, it makes the layup process straightforward.

in our current press design, we can make a pair of skis at once, but it requires two people to layup and put the bottom mold/ski materials/top mold setup into the press frame. everything weighs so much. so it might be easier to build a press that makes one ski at a time.
How did you go about clamping the ends so that it holds air?
what you want to do is take two pieces of angle iron and cut them so that they lay across the fire hose, one on top and one on the bottom. now drill a couple holes through the angle iron and use bolts & nuts to secure them. we'll post up a writeup showing you how to do it soon.
how did you insert the air hoses into it, and what kinda hose did you use?
you'll have to punch a hole into the fire hose and use some hardware, like the kind for compressors, to secure an inlet plug so that you can connect the hoses from a compressor. we'll post some instructions soon for this. it's not that difficult. the only crux is making sure it doesn't leak.
Also, when setting it up, do you just place the bottom mold down, ski materials on it, then the hoses, then the top mold, then just inflate the bags?
yes, that's pretty much how you do it. you might want to put some painters plastic over the molds so that extra epoxy that leaks out doesn't stick to the press.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Pat - how's your press coming along?
melvs

Post by melvs »

it isn't. I don't have time to go out and get materials right now. The week is filled with school, and weekends are spent skiing. I'm hoping to do it over march break. Gotta look around and find some places to get the material though.
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Hey Pat,

I just remembered something. If you still have access to the CNC machine, then I would use that to profile your cores. It would be much easier and quicker that way.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
melvs

Post by melvs »

ya, I just don't know how much I will have acess to them though. I still need to stop in and talk to the guy who runs it.
-Pat
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Pat: we put up a basic page discussing the bladder. check it out:

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/equip/bladder.shtml
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

hey great job with your web site! Anyway, I was wondering how long you keep the compressor running when pressing a ski. I own a 3 gallon compressor already for odjobs, will that do the trick?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

hey jedi, i keep my compressor running throughout the entire pressing. this ranges from 10 hours to 12 hours. i think my compressor may be smaller than yours and it works fine. as long as your fire hose doesn't have any major leaks any decent sized compressor will work. it'll just kick in every hour or so to keep your fire hose inflated at the designated pressure. i think if you can manage to make your fire hose completely leak free you could even get away with a bicycle pump. this was my first option (never happened due to a leaky hose) because i like to do things like a cave man.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

alright cool! thanks for the suggestion!
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

oh... also, are hoses sized by their inflated diameter or the width when flat? thanks again!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i think they're sized by inflated diameter. for example, we used a 5-inch diameter hose and it flattens down to 9-inches:

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/equip/bladder.shtml

Post by guest »

will a small electric compressor like a 3 gal one wear out after 8 hours. thanks.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

it really depends on how leak proof your fire hose is. if your fire hose has holes in it then your compressor will be constantly running for the entire hours, which i don't think is too good for your compressor. but if your fire hose doesn't have any leaks your compressor will turn on or kick in only a few times throughout the 8 hour period, which should be fine. i hope this helps.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

what type of valves are used to connect the fire hose to the compressor hose?