Question about wide skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o2bjedi

Question about wide skis

Post by o2bjedi »

A lot of the skis featured on skibuilders is wider then 100 (waist). Do you guys primarily ski powder or do the skis work well on groomers/park? I thought it would be fun to build a wide ski like Jp vs. Julien style. I ski a lot of park though.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

our skis are wide because we like the "wide" idea. we've found that wide skis are nice in powder (of course), and they also work well in mank snow, slush, crud, and in snow that is soft and carvable. wide skis are fun, and sometimes they are more forgiving. but keep in mind that wide skis are often heavier than their brother, Skinny. if you ski a lot of backcountry and want to move fast, then you have to decide if wide is worth the weight.
for the park, the width (hence more mass) may make it harder to "spin" the skis. also, wide skis may feel a bit awkward on steep and hard terrain.

to be honest, it's a matter of preference. once you get use to it, you'll want to go wider and wider....
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

we also ride primarily on the west coast so fat skis are pretty much the norm around here. for park skis i really don't think weight or length is a huge issue. it takes some getting used to but after your first day you'll be completely used to the extra weight or length. it's why you see pollard riding the prophets (well used to) without any noticeable effect upon his style and technicality. remember the nine he threw in happy happy?

i'm 5'7", 145 lbs and used to ride the 180 motherships in the park. not exactly a small ski for my size. the next park ski i build will be about 110 at the waist and at least 175cm. i really like the stability of a fat ski.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
train581

Another 1

Post by train581 »

A lot of the skis featured on skibuilders is wider then 100 (waist). Do you guys primarily ski powder or do the skis work well on groomers/park? I thought it would be fun to build a wide ski like Jp vs. Julien style. I ski a lot of park though.
Is everything like this these days?:lol: