The SG 5150's!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

The SG 5150's!

Post by MontuckyMadman »

So it took me maybe 8 months. Lots of planning and some tool acquisition and about $800 maybe more. But here is the first pair.
They are the SG 5150’s.
Named after my beloved golden retriever Scarlet Goldfeathers. She died a little over a year ago. Her dog tag is forever(I hope) embedded in the topsheet.

Lots of props and thanks to the community here and the creators of this invaluable resource. I never would have figured this out on my own.

Big ups to Plywood for helping me realize the dream and especially to Splat who let me see a production center and taking time on a Saturday to entertain my poor sense of direction.
Thanks also to my local friend with a shop. Thanx Coach!
I didn’t think it work out as well on the first try.
I still have yet to ski them but I think they should slay.

Powder ski
Details of the SG 5150
192 cm
139mm at the waist
Straight section underfoot and outside the boot area fore and aft.
Maybe 3mm of camber underfoot and 40 cm or so of tip rocker to a tip height of 60 mm
No tail rocker-semi twin
Running length: 140 somethin’ cm
Poplar core Basically solid.:
2.5mm tip
10.5mm waist
3mm tail
2 sheets Triax
Diamond shaped powerband in the rear to binding area: Triax
Screen for binder retention-darker area
West system epoxy I probably used 20 ounces per ski.
90 degrees F or so cure temp at 50 PSI in a pneumatic single ski ‘skibuilders’ press built
by skibuilder Greg and shipped to montuckistan by my lovely lady.
Thanxs Greg!
Total weight is just about 10 Lbs.
Topsheet is a very thin African sari my friend brought back from Kenya 10 years ago, soaked with resin and sandwiched using that PE sheet. - Great shit by the way I use it for everything epoxy doesn’t even kinda stick.

I am very impressed with the stiffness of the ski and a round flex. Even tapering core BTW with no flat spots except for kinda in the tip and tail to let them bend easier.
I think the screen really increased the stiffness as I used a fair amount. I plan to mount these tele and alpine with a demo binder so all can try them.

Things I learned:
+++++27 Viking points for a belt sander.
It takes a full small tube of super glue to put the edges on per ski for a ski this big,
You need like 36 pinch clamps to do this shit.
Ebay is great for clamps big and small.
Chinese tools are good for building skis as a hobby-not good for work.
You want a good router. That porter cable one everyone suggests is great.-ebay.
You want to make sure you tighten everything on your router well as the tool with float up or down- that sucks and is confusing as it’s gradual.
I probably used to much epoxy but it didn’t squeeze out all over the press. You can’t really see how big the ski is once you start to cover it up so you have to wet out everything.
Every imperfection in the top and bottom mold transfers to the ski under this pressure. I should have known, I just didn’t think it would be that dramatic.
Consequently the first ski was warped length wise and wavy. I thought that PE sheet would suck up more of the variances.
MDF is disgusting and will kill YOU! It’s a great product and machines very well but is extremely messy and toxic. I have worked with allot of toxic chemicals and materials and I really don’t like this stuff. Fiberglass is worse.\
Building your own is not cheaper until you make several pairs it would seem.
I wish I could have envisioned the bag style before this but this press works well its just a little tough to negotiate with only one person. Thanks Joe for your help.
I will never make skis for a living.
I have more…

I learned allot and used tools and materials I have never spent allot of time working with.

Base:2001 grade

Rocker and camber

Rocker kinda

Camber
Dog tag close up
No you don’t get to see my address but if the ski ever gets lost in uber deep pow it’s got a return addy on it.

Words smallest ski shop

Base mold with PE sheet

Ski in press: I don’t drink wiskey. catrack made of ½ inch X 1 inch preprimed MDF molding, cut up and drilled, strung together with rubbery clothesline stuff.

Where did all the snow go?

Thanks

PS we got two newbies they are maniacs.
Olive and Cooper
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drews

Oh

Post by drews »

OH look at the cute puppies!! Good looking skis too.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sweet to see that it all worked out with the first pair!
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

Awesome work! Id like to hear how they ride. . .
Brian
sammer

Post by sammer »

nice job 8) .
Interesting shape. Let us know how they ski.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
plywood

Post by plywood »

those...beasts look great! i mean the skis ;) hope they ski as good as they look, then you should be pretty fine :)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
j-raw

Post by j-raw »

Nice work man, those look like they'll handle the cold smoke well, if we ever get any. Noticed your dog tag is from Bozeman. I too live in Bozeman and thought it might be cool to hook up with you someday and compare ideas. I still haven't pressed any skis yet but I'm getting close. I just about have all the welding done on my frame and just finished the bladder and side cut template for my first ski. I'm about to build my top and bottom molds (hopefully this weekend) and after that I'll be about ready to make some sticks. Let me know if your around, I'd love to see your shop and also show you my "lab". Maybe a whiskey drink too.....

Cheers,
Josh
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

j-raw wrote:Nice work man, those look like they'll handle the cold smoke well, if we ever get any. Noticed your dog tag is from Bozeman. I too live in Bozeman and thought it might be cool to hook up with you someday and compare ideas. I still haven't pressed any skis yet but I'm getting close. I just about have all the welding done on my frame and just finished the bladder and side cut template for my first ski. I'm about to build my top and bottom molds (hopefully this weekend) and after that I'll be about ready to make some sticks. Let me know if your around, I'd love to see your shop and also show you my "lab". Maybe a whiskey drink too.....

Cheers,
Josh
Word. Fo sho shoot me a PM.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

So I took these out in little fresh snow. I should rename them the rocket ships. They plane in the pow instantaneously. 0-30 mph in about 25 ft.
The pin tail sinks in and makes them plane even more.
Real hard to telewack on since I am pretty much 60/40 in a tele turn and the up hill ski or the less weighted ski goes in the opposite direction. Think these might be 10"+ skis.
I basically made alpine turns all day.
They pivot great when you stay centered, better than any other ski I have ridden.
If you overweight an edge the other ski goes essentially up hill.
This has been said before about skis of this shape, but aside from that they go insanely fast in pow.

I think I could have used either more tip height or more rocker.
pidduh

Post by pidduh »

how did you made the base?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

pidduh wrote:how did you made the base?
I got it from skibuilders. its 2001 grade and I think they are out. trippy eh?