New Ski Snowboard Press

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

not for nothing but if it were really about grammar and sentence structure, and how to write properly in a forum (where probably half people are foreign), i would have been kicked out years ago.

just my $.02

and everyone's first attempt at this usually appears primative, i still do lots of sketchy stuff and make lots of fundamental mistakes. the point is that he's doing it, lets try to steer him in the right direction ;).
Doug
drews

Thanks

Post by drews »

Thank you for the support and yes that is what I am thinking. So where did you get the metal for your press Knightsofnii?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Metal is available at salvage yards at scrap prices and you have to cut it. Some metal yards that sell tube steel will cut the pieces to length for you but you have to drill or weld it into press form. If you live in a metropolitan area metal should be easy to come by. Steel yards ya know.
Go fabric like shopvacs press and plywoods, when you get all your shit together I can make you some bags like shopvacs out of my diesel cordura fabric.
drews

Post by drews »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Metal is available at salvage yards at scrap prices and you have to cut it. Some metal yards that sell tube steel will cut the pieces to length for you but you have to drill or weld it into press form. If you live in a metropolitan area metal should be easy to come by. Steel yards ya know.
Go fabric like shopvacs press and plywoods, when you get all your shit together I can make you some bags like shopvacs out of my diesel cordura fabric.
Thanks I think I may try to make some fabric for my press like climbing stuff that can hold a ton weight but thanks though
drews

Worked on press today

Post by drews »

Worked on the press today the bottom is almost done, have you guys seen what the guys on Lib-Tech have done with snowboards it is really cool. I plan to hopefully have a board with 7 contact points like theirs I just don't know where they should all go any suggestions, I was think 1 in the middle 1 by the binding and 1 on each "quarter" of the board plus the two at the end which are already their. Going to work on the top of press soon, so far it is a very solid press except the thin peices of plywood that are on the top used to smooth out the whole press but they are supported from behind, but other than that looks like all is coming along very nicely. Hopefully will have my first board by Christmas!! :D
Cornbiscut

krp8128

Post by Cornbiscut »

krp8128 i think all your posts suck stop
Cornbiscut

Post by Cornbiscut »

Drew i think you should focus on making a workable press before you worry about design. I would also focus on starting out with a simple design... with your "precision" it will end up with unintentional magna traction either way.. keep with it!
drews

Post by drews »

Cornbiscut wrote:Drew i think you should focus on making a workable press before you worry about design. I would also focus on starting out with a simple design... with your "precision" it will end up with unintentional magna traction either way.. keep with it!
You guys have just seen the beggining of the press but your true with my precision magna traction may be built in...I hope to have the press up and running here soon. I am finishing the top and going to sand it all down hopefully this weekend!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Well don't keep us in suspense much longer, I want to know what happened after your summer vacation. ;)

Edit: nope.
drews

Post by drews »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Well don't keep us in suspense much longer, I want to know what happened after your summer vacation. ;)

Edit: nope.

Uploading pics tonite hopefully only the snowboard pics. So the bottom is almost done you can totally see the rocker part for the board. The top is coming along slowly but after I did the bottom I ran out of money so I need to find a way to make some more money. So it is coming along slowly but surely.

Link to the pics http://picasaweb.google.com/Stuntz256/2 ... ildingPics#
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

drews,

I may have been a bit harsh in my first post, I apologize.

No offense meant here, but after looking at your pictures I think that you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your project. I also think you should take a closer look around the forums for some more ideas and techniques.

Honestly, at this point, any money you spend on materials will be a waste with that mold. Skis don't need to be high precision, but they do need care and thought during construction to make sure everything is clean and well fitting. It looks like you are cutting out the mold as fast as possible and slapping it together with glue, this technique will not work when it comes time to press the skis. Look at the mold and press as a chance to prove and improve your skills, and in the end this will save you money.

Do it right, do it once.
Last edited by krp8128 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
drews

Post by drews »

krp8128 wrote:drews,

I may have been a bit harsh in my first post, I apologize.

No offense meant here, but after looking at your pictures I think that you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your project. I also think you should take a closer look around the forums for some more ideas and techniques ideas.

Honestly, at this point, any money you spend on materials will be a waste with that mold. Skis don't need to be high precision, but they do need care and thought during construction to make sure everything is clean and well fitting. It looks like you are cutting out the mold as fast as possible and slapping it together with glue, this technique will not work when it comes time to press the skis. Look at the mold and press as a chance to prove and improve your skills, and in the end this will save you money.

Do t right, do it once.

Ok...cool
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

If you haven't looked at those pics, you need to. Wow.

drews, have you read through the site? What you have built so far is pretty much useless. I appreciate your desire to make an attempt, but you might want to do some more research and then start over.
drews

Fire Hose

Post by drews »

Sweet found some fire hose from the fire department for free!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

drews,

cool that you got some firehose, but if you put those molds inside a press and inflate that thing, its going to totally grenade itself, i would not want to be anywhere near it.

Check out how people are building molds with MDF strips. Make yourself a nice clean template, maybe even pay to have one cnc'd, and then just clone it over and over again with a router, and there is your mold.

Bending plywood over 4-5 ribs is not going to cut it for a press. It works with vacuum, somewhat, but there's a HUGE difference between 14psi and 60.

Think for a moment about the fact that a couple hoses at 60 psi can lift an 18wheel truck right off the ground. Think about how you're going to design and build molds, etc that can withstand those forces.

Your EFFORTS and desire to get this done are awesome, but I hope you can put something together that will work at least once.
Doug