My press design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bluehouseskis

My press design

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I've been following this site and learning from everyones ideas for several months now and have finally begun my building process. I found some scrap i-beams today and was hoping to find some help or ideas on how I should build my press. I've been watching hosemans progress and I might follow a similar style for my press. The beams measure 3" X 11.5" X 108" I have two of them. I got them both for free so I am trying to use them to their full potential. Thanks in advance for any help. I'll post pictures and more details along the way.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

That's great SLC. Do you plan on welding or bolting? If you weld be sure to drill some holes in the cross pieces & the plug weld them. It will ad significantly to the strength of the joint. I'll try to get a couple more detailed images on my journal to explain what I'm saying.
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I probably won't have any welding access. So as for now I'm planning on bolting everything.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

welcome SLC-Skis, and congrats for being the 100th forum user!!! post some photos of your press when you get a chance. we're all excited to see it.
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

Is that like being the 100th customer? Hooray, what do I win!!!?
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I have been doing some prelim searches for a hose but have not had any success. Does anyone, especially hoseman, have any suggestions and/or extra hose that they are willing to part with?
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I actually only have half the hose I need. I will be stopping in at a couple of the smaller fire depts in the area in search of surplus LDH. (Large Diameter Hose). I would just check with the fire departments in your area. The bigger fire departments will have have a shop or maitenance division where damaged hose is repaired, or discarded. That's the place you need to find. Others have found retailers online which weren't crazy expensive. It's hard to beat free though.
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

Just got home from the fire department logistics office and they were friendly enough to donate about 35 ft. of hose. I called and said I only needed about 8-9 ft and when I got there they handed me a huge roll. I might have to make another press. Thanks for the tip Hoseman.

So far I have most of the metal for the press frame and the hose and I have yet to spend any money.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

SLC, what is the diameter of your hose? i've tried asking around my local fire depts. for large diameter hoses and none carry them.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Speaking in generalities...... LDH is a 5" hose. There are some 6" hoses out there & some people even consider 3" LDH. It's hard for me to imagine a FD that would have some. Our standard hose load has 800' of 5" hose on every engine in the department. Its what we hook to the large port of the hydrant & supply the engine it's water. I guess if all the hydrants in your district only had 2 1/2" ports then you'd use 2- 2 1/2" hoses to supply the pump instead of 1- 5" hose. You probably just need to find the right person to ask. Isn't much of life that way? Odd.

Post by Guest »

It's 5" hose. The captain that gave it to me said that 5" hose is really only about 4.5" but they call it 5". Laid flat it's about 9" and will cover any size ski that I will make.
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I thought I was logged in when I posted that. Sorry.