Car Vacuum Pumps

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Eight

Car Vacuum Pumps

Post by Eight »

Probably a stupid question - but I noticed on eBay there are a lot of car vacuum pumps available for cheap.

Anyone know what they do, and could they be used for ski building?
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

not really sure - can you link to one?

If its a vac pump for AC systems, there are 2 kinds - a venturi based one that needs a air compressor to work, and an electric one that looks alot like a tiny compressor. The biggest problem is there is no regulator system on either - they run all the time, wasting electricity
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Eight

Post by Eight »

They seem to be either for AC systems or braking.

Listings don't really say much about them e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKE-VACUUM-PUMP ... 286.c0.m14

I might have to pay a visit to a local car mechanic and ask in there - I didn't even know cars had vacuum pumps until I stumbled across them. :)
hafte

Post by hafte »

I just bought one like this. http://www.jbind.com/tools/userfiles/fi ... ctions.pdf Is that what you are looking at? ( I can’t see Ebay form work) They are for removing water from the A/C systems, at least that’s what the literature talks about. I found mine at a local pawn shop for $100 Model DV-142N. It seems to work well.

Before this I was using a venture device from these guys. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

I was able to use the vacuum switch from that kit and the storage system to set up an outlet that the new pump plugs into so that it could pull a vacuum to the requested level and stop then cycle on as needed. That keeps the pump from running for long periods of time. I’m not sure if that’s good for the pump, but it seems to hold the vacuum just fine.

Hafte
sammer

Post by sammer »

The car vacuum pump is usually used in diesel powered vehicles as diesel engines dont produce any vacuum.
Cars use vacuum for brake boost, or for controls in heating systems etc. the vacuum pump you are looking at is this type.
I'm not sure how much vacuum they will produce and you would still need some motor and a belt to turn it.
If I didn't want to spend the money I would be looking at converting a fridge compressor.
They are very quiet and are designed to run almost continuously.
there are lots of how-to's on the internet to convert a fridge compressor to a vacuum pump.
hope this helps

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Eight

Post by Eight »

sammer wrote: I'm not sure how much vacuum they will produce and you would still need some motor and a belt to turn it.
Aah... of course. It hadn't occurred to me at this point how to power it. :)
If I didn't want to spend the money I would be looking at converting a fridge compressor.
It wasn't really a question of £s, I was just kinda curious as to whether they'd be suitable for the job since there's so many of them available.

I think I know what I'm going with when I get started. Just got to move house and get cracking.

Cheers mate, that was a lot of help.
Kevin6q

Post by Kevin6q »

I use a Gast diaphragm pump. Its small, costs about $150 and pulls 25"hg as long as the bag is sealed. The thing runs all night, there is no oil and I adjust the vac. using a bleeder valve. Mine is 10 years old and still works great. I have bagged 2 kayak hull halves at the same time with it. I use no reservoir tanks, switches or anything else so the system is simple. Only complait is having to listen to the thing when it runs. Not loud but a constant sound of a big fish tank pump.