changing the graphics

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Mad_Trix1080

changing the graphics

Post by Mad_Trix1080 »

I just have one quick question on changing the graphics of my skis. I own a pair of Head Mad_Trix, but I really hate the graphic design on them. I was wondering if there was anyway to paint over it or some other alternative method that would not be as prone to scratching or chipping as just normally painting over it.

By the way, the site is muy buenno, keep it up
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

welcome to the site mad_trix!

with my experience, i've never been able to paint skis without having them chip up. i used to paint my skis years ago (this is actually how i started with the whole ski building thing) and have found that nothing seems to work well. this is how i usually painted my skis:
1. sand topsheet to roughen surface.
2. clean surface and prime it.
3. cut stencils.
4. spray paint the ski.
5. apply at least 3 layers of the strongest clear coat finish i could find.

they'll still chip but will last a decent amount of time. another method i've thought of but have never tried before is to repeat steps 1-4. for the final coat use some clear epoxy or even an entire layer of fiberglass wetted out with expoy.

good luck!
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
MonkeyButt

Post by MonkeyButt »

I have never done it myself but i have heard of people who painted their skis with pretty good success. They used Krylon Fusion which is specifically made to adhere to plastic.
Mad_Trix1080

Post by Mad_Trix1080 »

where do u get krylon fusion?
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Krylon is just a brand of rattle-can spraypaint. You'll have to check a couple hardware or homedepot type stores to see if they carry Krylon's Fusion products.
Mad_Trix1080

Post by Mad_Trix1080 »

with the krylon fusion, should i still rough up the surface before painting. Also, should i put a topcoat over the graphics.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

i'm not an expert but i would do so.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)