Some advices on carbon needed.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chaka

Some advices on carbon needed.

Post by chaka »

A friend of mine gave me 2 square meters of biax carbon ( about 350 g/m2). I have only used triax fiberglass an ud carbon tape in my other pairs. This time I would like to use the same lay up as ever: (from base to top) ud carbon tape 1 or 2 layers of 3ax fiberglass, core, 2 layers of 3ax fiberglass and a thin wood veneer under the topsheet. I would like to do some die cuts to the wood veneer and put some biax carbon so it can be seen through it. I was thinkig about making small die cuts and only use a little biax carbon. Do you guys think that this could create some kind of fracture point? Will those small pieces of carbon make longitudinal flex discontinuous?
I Guess that the right choose is to use a whole layer of biax carbon under the topsheeet, but my experience is that ud carbon tape can give you lots of carbon pop and it´s really cheap. My interest in biax carbon is mainly esthetical... i won´t buy much more of this, should i save it or should i give it a try and use a whole layer under the topsheet?. I don´t know yours but my experience with carbon is that the closest to the base the better it works (not too much scientific reasoning by my own about this so maybe i´m wrong)... but it can´t be seen through that way.

Am I getting crazy?
RIDE WITH PRIDE