My press idea What do You think??

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mayak

My press idea What do You think??

Post by mayak »

Hi everyone!!

What do you think abaut my press idea??
Because i don't have air compressor I'm planning to make prass with car jack and fire hose filed with air or water to apply uniform pressure.
This is picture of it:

dear mayak: the above link you've provided seems to be problematic -- it won't load, therefore it's choking this thread. please link another photo. we would love to see your design. -bigKam

Post by Guest »

I hope that this time it will work
Image[/img]
endre

Post by endre »

It's a good idea if you can get the hose completely air-proof, which will be difficult. Mby you should concider somethig thicker than air or water, (like f.ex. oil?)
This same method as been used with silicon sheets instead of a closed bladder.
kohlrabi

Post by kohlrabi »

endre brings up a good point. Because air is compressible it will not transfer the pressure as efficiently as a liquid would.

you could fill the hose with water, oil, or some other fluid.

alternately you could probably skip the hose altogether.
Greg

Post by Greg »

For the effort, it might just be cheaper to get a used compressor. I found a used one on Craigslist.org for $40, but I am sure you could find one in your local classified ads for around the same price. I then got a regulator and fittings for another $10 at the hardware store. Plus, with a compressor, you can do many other things that are kind of nice, like pump up tires.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I thought about this more over the weekend as I was watching my press's bladder pressure, making sure the regulator was working properly.

I thought first that if you wanted to use water, depending on your water main pressure, you could almost just hook the press up to the garden hose. Or fill the hose with water and run one end to the upstairs of a house (20 feet of elevation should give you close to 10 psi). It was just an idea.

The other thought I had is that you might be able to fill the bladder with fine sand or a powder of some sort. This would allow the bladder to move around, and I can't imagine that sand would leak out very easily.

As I said, these are just ideas, but for now I am going to stick with the air bladder.