Few questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jibby

Few questions

Post by jibby »

First off, I wanna say this site is amazing, and it has truly inspired me to make my own pair of skis. My friend and I are each going to make a pair using the same mold, so I hope all works out well.

First, is it smarter to create a mold that can fit both skis or just press one ski at a time. If the mold was going to fit two skis, how would should it be.

Secondly, where did most of you find the fiberglass, ptex, topsheet and epoxy? Was it online or did you check local stores? Could I use some of the materials from snowboardmaterials.com, such as the metal edging, and if i got the epoxy from there hwo much would I need for a pair of skis, more or less than for a snowboard?

Thirdly, how much does it cost on average to construct a pair of skis?
littleKam
Site Admin

Re: Few questions

Post by littleKam »

Hey Jibby, welcome the site! I'll try to answer the questions as best as possible.
jibby wrote: First, is it smarter to create a mold that can fit both skis or just press one ski at a time. If the mold was going to fit two skis, how would should it be.
This really depends on your budget. Pressing a pair of skis a time is a really good idea but it requires twice as much in terms of making your press, mold, and bladder. If you have the money then I say go for it. For the width I generally recommend at least an extra 5-6 inches than the widest portion of your ski.
jibby wrote:Secondly, where did most of you find the fiberglass, ptex, topsheet and epoxy? Was it online or did you check local stores? Could I use some of the materials from snowboardmaterials.com, such as the metal edging, and if i got the epoxy from there hwo much would I need for a pair of skis, more or less than for a snowboard?
You can get pretty much all you need from Snowboardmaterials.com. It's a great place for starters and you shouldn't (for the most part) have any problems with their stuff. But I would recommend not getting their topsheet material and simply use the clear base material as the topsheet instead. The amount of expoy required for one snowboard should be enough for a pair of skis.
jibby wrote:Thirdly, how much does it cost on average to construct a pair of skis?
This really varies because it depends on so many factors. But here are some super rough ballpark figures.
- materials for one ski = $100
- press = $250+
- bladder = $25
- mold = $25
- profiler = $25

I would first try researching the places where you can get material for cheap or even sometimes free like your local junkyard, recycling center, etc. This can help reduce costs quite a bit. Don't think Home Depot is the best or cheapest place to go.

Good luck!
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

would this be jibster270?

By the way if any of you guys are on newschoolers, give me your username and ill invite you to the ski builders cult.
J I B T H E S H I T
jibby

Post by jibby »

Ha, why yes it would!
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

my name on ns is skishore
broskier

Post by broskier »

my ns name is broskier, funny how that works...