new ski design

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Ben

My 2 cents

Post by Ben »

I feel that the idea has promise, I have a theory that if the surface area on the base of the ski was split evenly between the concave and convex sidecut sections it would be more stable. I still am undecided as to where is the best place for the midpoint between the two "halves" should be.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

^ that's exactly what i've been thinking about. the transition between the inverse and regular sidecut seems a little tricky. I was thinking of perhaps having the transition point right behind the toe (for tele) or the heel (for alpine). this way you can independently activate each half of the ski by simply leaning more forward or backward depending on the snow conditions.

i've leaning more towards the straight or tapered straight sidecut for the rear section. it may be less funky on the overall ride rather than having two opposing sidecuts.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Im thinking that the sidecut should extend beyond the toepiece then curve outward in a smooth profile similar to a sine wave. Something like using the same radius for both profiles. It will be interesting to see where this leads.