ON3P Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

falls wrote:Hi iggy
Had you thought about adding a second spindle to your current CNC and doing 2 things the same at once?
(rather than a whole extra CNC)
Definitely, but who said it would be a router? :D For speed purposes, we're interested in getting back to a planer or sander for profiling. That said, our searching to date hasn't been as fruitful as we hoped.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

iggyskier wrote:
Had you thought about adding a second spindle to your current CNC and doing 2 things the same at once?
Definitely, but who said it would be a router? :D For speed purposes, we're interested in getting back to a planer or sander for profiling. That said, our searching to date hasn't been as fruitful as we hoped.
just out of curiosity. what time you have per core and what time you want to achieve?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
falls

Post by falls »

I think I saw one on a skateboard maker website (planer head) - will see if I can find it again.
You guys look like you're getting pretty handy with DIY solutions. Could prob get a spiral cutter head and get a bracket machined up to hold a motor for belt drive.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

These guys make custom aggregate heads for existing CNC Routers, including planer heads: http://www.techniksusa.com/aggregate/cu ... _heads.htm
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

falls wrote:I think I saw one on a skateboard maker website (planer head) - will see if I can find it again.
You guys look like you're getting pretty handy with DIY solutions. Could prob get a spiral cutter head and get a bracket machined up to hold a motor for belt drive.
Yeah Loaded Skateboards has one that looks pretty cool. We actually talked with him about it.

A DYI solution is definitely under consideration.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

chrismp wrote:These guys make custom aggregate heads for existing CNC Routers, including planer heads: http://www.techniksusa.com/aggregate/cu ... _heads.htm
Nice! We've actually looked at them before for their dust evacuation nut, but I will check out and see what they have in regards to planer heads.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

MadRussian wrote:
iggyskier wrote:
just out of curiosity. what time you have per core and what time you want to achieve?
We've change our process a bit recently, but I think we profile & cut a core in around 8 minutes. The big thing is sidewalls...right now, we are profiling around 4-pairs worth in about 25 minutes. We can go faster, but the current process (cut/speed/bit style/bit size) is the process that has given us the best bond strength in peel tests. The CNC Planer our guys saw at CP was doing that amount in 2 minutes, so that would speed things up quite a bit.
falls

Post by falls »

yeah that's the one
Man I wasted some time last night trying to remember and find that site!

I did find some of the aggregate CNC heads. They would be pretty dangerous in a skynet terminator rise of the machines situation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLCqMGUAXE
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

iggyskier wrote:
falls wrote:I think I saw one on a skateboard maker website (planer head) - will see if I can find it again.
Yeah Loaded Skateboards has one that looks pretty cool. We actually talked with him about it.

A DYI solution is definitely under consideration.
I'd choose the type of planer head depending on your machine. If it doesn't have a spindle with one of the common tool chucks (HSK etc), I'd go the DYI route as Loaded did. Their design seems simple enough. Instead of their (probably custom) spiral planer drum, you could also use a series of moulder heads that can be coupled together.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Great machines. We had their rep in, and even planned on sending them some materials to test out on their machines. Then we got their pricing, which "start around $150,000"....so not really in our price range. Definitely on the lookout for a used machine though.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I got quoted between 5200 and 6000 EUR for a planer aggregate from European suppliers for our cnc. Still quite steep...unfortunately it's almost impossible to find used ones.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

with this kind of prices minus well DIY retrofit plainer on the rails add drivers and make it into CNC. iirc video somewhere on the forum someone done it
Thomas A. Edison
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

If you already have a cnc that allows retrofit of custom tools, I think it's actually much easier to build a dyi planer aggregate like the folks at loaded did.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

probably not otherwise iggy already would have one.
From the picture above CNC machine have to be BIG… Commercial kind. My thought if small CNC cannot be retrofitted build new machine on frame of existing planar probably better option compared to the building machine from scratch. ...replace bottom part on carriage system, add external rails, use feed mechanism to move planar on the rails, replace handle on electric motor to already existing vertical feed system.... Of course new vacuum table

with some engineering and help of machine shop should cost less than retrofit option you mentioned
Thomas A. Edison