thicker base and edges

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jono

thicker base and edges

Post by jono »

Does anyone know where to get thicker bases and edges?
I see k2 skis with 3.5 mm edges and Line skis with "fatty" edges/bases and I wonder where we can get them or if the skibuilders.com store might be able to order some thicker bases and edges?
I like the idea of being able to get more tunes out of a pair of skis and the thicker materials seem to be more in line with what home builders are looking for.
plywood

Re: thicker base and edges

Post by plywood »

edges are not the main problem, the thicker base is much harder to get. at least this is my experience. gurit had some left overs, 1.5mm base material. but as i asked them on the phone for thicker base material the told me, that they haven`t got any 1.5 anymore. and they won`t produce some more, unless you take 400m ... "nobody is using thicker base material than 1,3mm" - that`s what the lady on the phone told me.

even though i can`t believe it, as you said, K2 and lots of other freeski brands have thicker edges...so i`m really interested in getting a new supplier for thicker base material too!
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
jono

Post by jono »

I wonder if ski companies are using 2 or 3 layers of 1.3 mm bases and then planing off any extra thickness. This would allow for a solid backing layer of base material in order to avoid weak spots in die cut bases.
I just bought some of the light blue base material from ski builders and I want to try using it as a second layer of base material over the tops of the edges. I think volkl has done this before.

Kelvin, is there any chance the ski builders store might start selling thicker/deeper edges?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

thicker base can be had from crown plastics, ive got some to prove it.
though its really what we're using for tip fill, but they have a huge range of thicknesses, anything from 0.03" to 0.09" thickness even thicker i'm sure.

rome also has thick edge on their agents and some other models.
Doug