Ptex topsheets

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Biggie

Ptex topsheets

Post by Biggie »

I'm thinking about ordering some extra white base from durasurf and using it as my topsheet also. I noticed kam and guys were using ptex topsheets(along with k2).

My questions are, do you guys just use base material(1.35mm thickness) or do you use something thinner? and , how does it hold up??
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

P-tex topsheet is thinner. It holds up really well, but is not as clear as other topsheet materials.

k
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Are you just purchasing UHMW from a plastic suplier for the top sheet? Can you tell us the thickness? .040" ?

THanks
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

the first time we tried it was on the red oktobers. for those we just used the regular base material (about 1.3mm thick?).

but we've started to order p-tex topsheets that are about half as thick from durasurf.

although the p-tex isn't incredibly clear as kelvin mentioned i think it's clear enough for me. it just lacks the shine of other topsheets. but i'm happy to trade these for durability. they're really strong and hide scratches pretty well.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

Well, what got me on this was, durasurf didnt have any solid opaque white topsheets, but they did have solid white base material, so i figure i'll order more base and use it as my topsheet also(since i wanted both solid white), but now that i know it doesnt need to be as thick i'll ask if they have a thinner white ptex.