Alpine Skis

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Maverick25r

Alpine Skis

Post by Maverick25r »

I have gone over the site a few times and understand the ski building process. But how would I go about building a pair of alpine skis and not tele skis. What is the difference and does anyone know of any good links for it.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Construction techniques are exactly the same. You probably won't encorporate any inserts into your skis since downhill binding hole patterns are in no way standardized. Conventional thinking used to hold that tele skis were built softer that their downhill counterparts. I don't think that such an assumption can any longer be made. I think that flex is far more a issue of intended use, rather than turning style. Powder skis would be built soft, while an onpiste ski would be built somewhat stiffer.

I would follow all the steps listed here. I would build the core like the White's in the ski gallery. Those would probably be a pretty bomber alpine ski.