graphics idea

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

graphics idea

Post by vinman »

So has anyone tried "painting" a steciled graphic to the bottom surface of a clear top sheet with something like krylon fusion letting that dry and then sealing it with something like a black or white pigmeted epoxy? this would give the top sheet some color and seal in any paint that would inhibit bonding.

The trick would be to either put a light enough sealer coat to not make things too heavy and think enough to give an opaque color.

or I guess I could use colored epoxy thoughout the whole thing.... basically just use what ever pigment I want the top sheet to be though the entire layup....

what about actualy epoxy paint? anyone use that?

I'd love some ideas and thoughts pros/cons etc....
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
vinman

Post by vinman »

I emailed Roy from QCM. He thought that a small stenci graphic painted onto the bonding side of the topsheet and sealed with pigmented epoxy would not effect bonding.....sweet

so as far as using pigmented epoxy he also mentioned the using pigment to the 4-5% level would not effect bonding.

My question now is how opaque is 4-5%

anyone with info?
plywood

Post by plywood »

i tried once some colour that could be applied to epoxy. the one i tried wasn`t very opaque, the wood underneath the fibreglass was very good visible. it all came out pretty transparent in the end, just with a little colour. but no further experiences made, sorry
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
vinman

Post by vinman »

thanks plywood. After a little research it seems 5% would give a fairly opaque look. Adding calcium carbonate powder would make it more opaque.

I wonder what adding Ca carbonate does to the bonding?
danishstock

Post by danishstock »

Vinman,
No experience here, but a quick series of samples varying the pigment and CaCO3 amounts would provide some info.

Keep us posted,
E
Misha

Post by Misha »

I use a toner for water emulsion paints - very good result! Only it`s necessary to read on bank about structure that there would be no water. Well or to mix a small doze resin and a toner
(used a toner from the laser printer earlier and always I was dirty :) )
From R with l :)
Murchonn