Finite Element Model

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

davide

Finite Element Model

Post by davide »

I am doing some FE modelling for my thesis work, so I decided to play with skis as well. This is the longitudinal strain (blu=tension, red=compression) for a loaded ski.

It is just a test. Later I will do it in scale and with realistic loads.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

sweet! brings back memories of engineering headaches. what program are you using?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)

Post by Guest »

Femlab.

It is a shame that a physicist has to do that. This is a job for engineers. ;) .

I am looking for some freeware program, lighter and faster than Femlab.
Do you know anyone?
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

davide:

very nice. you can see clearly the difference in flex between the tip and tail. FEM is a great tool for modeling....
davide

Post by davide »

Here are more simulations. The colors stand for the longitudinal stress (red tensile, blue compressive).

First I compare my woodcore (4mm tip and tail, 16mm at the center) with the thinner core that are used normally (2mm, 12mm):
That is why I put less glass than usual in my skis.

I use 4 sheets of plywood. In one pair I used poplar (soft and fragile) as bottom sheet and birch (stiff and tough) for the 3 upper layers. Besides I did not make the transition from the layers as smooth as usual. Down here is the result:
Large compressive stress are applied to the poplar (lower picture). In that spot I reinforced with some glass, but it was not enough. Actually the glass and part of the wood cracked after few days of offpiste abuse.