Terrible problems with rails for core profiler

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bostonski

Terrible problems with rails for core profiler

Post by bostonski »

So I had some issues cutting the rails for my core profiler today. First tried a jigsaw...that sucked....tried a skil saw after which was better...but still ended up sucking...I can't get one even rail nevermind being able to cut two.

Tommorow I'm going to a buddy's house to use his table saw which will allow me to rip the MDF board at a 1 degree angle....I'm hoping this works!?

How do you guys get precise rails for your core profiler?
plywood

Re: Terrible problems with rails for core profiler

Post by plywood »

i take 5mm thick mdf, draw the wanted taperingprofile on it an then... work with a jigsaw as accurate as possible. followed by a threatment with a single cut file. as the drawed on tapering profile is still visible you can grind down the excess mdf very precicely to the line. the 5mm stuff is very quick and easy to grind down and the file is ideal to work on it. furthermore you can check the profile by just looking straight along the profile, irregularities are quickly visible.

but now, the 5mm stuff is not what you want, right? right! it`s just the template. so just clamp it down to the final mdf-rails and work your way down to your template with a router with a router bit with a ball bearing.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
bostonski

Post by bostonski »

plywood wrote:i take 5mm thick mdf, draw the wanted taperingprofile on it an then... work with a jigsaw as accurate as possible. followed by a threatment with a single cut file. as the drawed on tapering profile is still visible you can grind down the excess mdf very precicely to the line. the 5mm stuff is very quick and easy to grind down and the file is ideal to work on it. furthermore you can check the profile by just looking straight along the profile, irregularities are quickly visible.

but now, the 5mm stuff is not what you want, right? right! it`s just the template. so just clamp it down to the final mdf-rails and work your way down to your template with a router with a router bit with a ball bearing.
AH HAH! So thats my problem right there. I'm trying to cut the rails with a skil saw....never even thought of cuttin templates...than using a router . Genious!
plywood

Post by plywood »

hohooo! ;) well, even with templates it`s a bit of a pain because the rails are pretty narrow and hard to ?route? straight... so maybe you have to make the rails "higher" so that you have a wider part to put the router on it and to clamp it down etc.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

If you can get or make a router table, it will make the template routing much easier. A piece of plywood or melamine with a hole cutout and the router mounted underneath, would be easier than trying to balance the handheld router on the thin rails.

-kelvin
setto

Post by setto »

what about my Idea?
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ight=#5533

Its easy, cheap, save and you even don't have to saw. The best, you can adjust everything!
plywood

Post by plywood »

uh, really really nice! how could i miss that one?! those rails are sweet! excellent idea
bostonski

Post by bostonski »

Thanks for the help guys.