Camber

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kohlrabi(forgot to log in

Camber

Post by kohlrabi(forgot to log in »

Rather than getting the desired ski camber through the pressing process, what do you think the result would be if a few mm of camber were routed right into the core?

Would this not help get a bit of a more lively ski (like a spring)?
endre

Post by endre »

that would just cut a lot of fibres in the core. every place where a fiber ends there is a weak spot. =lots and lots of weak spots. (think of it as a piece of wood in tension. if you cut in it with a knife at the stretched side it will snap quite fast). There is another way though to make a pre-bent core. -horizontal lamination. -but it would definately not give you a more lively ski. 90% is in the reinforcement.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I was once told that Volkl mills their cores with the camber built in. Makes sense to me. I was actually considering an attempt at the same thing some time down the line. I see the logic in weakness with fiber ends, but having the core under no tension when the ski is at rest seems valuable to me too. I would think that the ski would be more durable because the epoxy bond that creat the camber in a flat cored ski are under more tension when flexed than in the case of a pre-cambered core. Hmmmmmm -J
endre

Post by endre »

actually it is opposite. a ski with pre-laminated tension inside would be stronger, because the tension inside the ski would help the tension at the outside. Trees actually grow with tension inside because of this. A ski theoretically built like this would be very strong, (and in theory it would explode, not break). In real life it would not remain in tension, since wood is a very adaptive material.

-all fibres at once is stronger than many in a row (compare it with tearing off a stack of cards, much easier when you make a fan(right word?) of them)

re-edited: when I think of it once more I see that you have a point hose-man. the tension in normal layup goes opposite direction, so you end up with a core with pressure unterneath, held in by the fibreglas. But I think to correct this by pre-milling the core would have very litle effect tough.