Epoxy Question

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Telemark Mark

Epoxy Question

Post by Telemark Mark »

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here. I've searched through every post I can find and nada so far. I'm going to Vacuum Press skis (same setup as Big Kam used on the "Grande Kokoa's." I plan on using a basic store-bought heating blanket to cover the bag.

I have never worked with epoxy before........and therefore have no clue about hardeners, work time, heating issues, ratios, etc. (or what the difference is between resin and epoxy for that matter).

Big Kam used West Systems with 105 resin with 205 hardener. Is that good? How much do I order? I live in the Lake Tahoe area. Is that the best company to order from?

Also, should I use the ratio of 300-500 grams of epoxy mix per (1) ski?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Great site!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I am using the west systems epoxy with out any problems. I got it from a marine supply outfit named "west marine" in Stockton. You should have a place near you, maybe Reno? I also tried out the metering pumps for the epoxy. I have used the pumps on two one gallon cans of epoxy and hardener without any problems. The pumps are calibrated to be a one to one.
Best on the ski building and you gotta love the snow now!
rockaukum
Telemark Mark

Post by Telemark Mark »

rockaukum -

The snow here has been awesome! I start smiling just thinking about the past weekend of skiing. I need leg transplants now though. Four days of knee-to-waist deep powder skiing wrecked me.

Should I just go to a local marine store and ask questions about ratios, amount, brand, hardeners, etc?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

The ratios are on the container. I use the 105 - 205 set up. The dispensing pumps seem to work fine. However , I did not trust them despite what the retailer told me so I used them this way. I put the cup on a scale and did the 5 pumps of each and checked the ratios with the amounts dispensed buy the pump and they came out good (equal). The pump makes it quick and a no brainer - that is if you can count to 5.
I go to Sierra and have been up 5 times since the first and have enjoyed the best of it. Seems the snow has consolidate between storms so the BC should be good provided we stay away form the avy terrain. Let me know if you are in the area and we can hook up for a few turns.
rockaukum
Telemark Mark

Post by Telemark Mark »

I found a West Systems dealer in Reno (West Marine) and they have the product in stock. They have the following:

Epoxy Resin (105)
- 1 quart for $36
- 1 gallon for $99

Ratio Epoxy Hardener (205)
- 0.44 pt. for $17
- 0.86 pt. for $36

How much should I buy? I plan on making multiple sets of skis, but I am vacuum bagging instead of pressing. If this is the correct epoxy for what I'm doing I'd prefer to buy more. Any idea how many skis I can build out of a quart of resin and .44 pt. of hardener?

Thanks for your help.[/b]
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

With the 205 hardener, you only get 10-15 minutes to layup. Work fast! You can use 206 hardener to get a little more work time (25min).

If you are making multiple skis, I would get the gallon resin, pt hardner and the pumps. Be sure to make small batches (about 5 pumps) otherwise the epoxy will heat up.

-kelvin