Off we go...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TexMurphy

Off we go...

Post by TexMurphy »

So Ive finally started building my first pair.

Ive built the jigg tray and glued the cores. Tomorrow and over the weekend I will be building the rest of the core profiler and shaping the core.

Ski will be 186cm side cut 135-100-120 giving it a radius of 21,8 meters.

ImageClick to enlarge.

The core is a birch core laminated with 1.75cm strips and I aim for a core under foot height of about 12mm. Picture shows correct tip and tail spacers that will be used as well as sidewall other then that its not correct.

ImageClick to enlarge.

Once the core is shaped I will start working on the mould for the vacuum press.

Exciting times indeed.
Tex
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Ok run into my first real mistakes yesterday.

When building the core template I used a 3.5 mm hardboard... bad idea.. has to be about 0.6-1.0cm inorder for the router tool beering to be able to trace it in a good way...

Second problem was the shape of the core tip and tail. Found it very hard to get my template symetrical at the shape where the tip is narrower at the "cut" and wider at the middle creating a jiggsaw puzzle piece.

Not sure it will be a problem as long as I trace the core to make the tip and tail spacers. But still annoying and will need to find a easier construction.

Tex
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Ok so Ive remade the core template and it came out much better this time. Making it in MDF was soo much easier then plywood.

Ive got my core profiler ready to use with a planner it works great and Im baseing it of Marks desing where you use two mdfs 20x200cm and stick in mdf blocks to raise tip and tail to create core profile. Works great and dont neeed any screws.

Next time Im at the workshop Ill cut the core and then Im just waiting for my sidewalls to arive. Most likely I will start building my mold if they dont arrive soon.

Tex