aluminum tip piece

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

threeninethree

aluminum tip piece

Post by threeninethree »

I was looking at Boheme skis and was just wondering if anyone knew how they were incorparating there (I assume) aluminum tip and tail pieces. Ive read as far as bonding goes you have to etch it with phosphoric acid.

Also Igneous uses a aluminum tail bar in there skis.

has anyone tried these materials in there layups?
DH-Rooky

Post by DH-Rooky »

Hi
I'm new to this skibuilding stuff but I've lots of experience with composite manufacturing.
You do not have to treat Aluminium with acids to get good bonding with epoxy. Phosphoric acid anodization is necessary for bonding titanium alloys and you can get better results with some aluminium alloys like Titanal but you don't need it for aluminium. To get a good bonding it would be perfect to sandblast the bonding surface short before you put the epoxy on it. Thats because aluminium oxidizes rather fast an the oxidized surface has worse bonding characteristics. If you can't get it sandblastet sandpaper would be ok too.
Idris

Post by Idris »

At PMGear we started doing tip and tail in AL. We just sanded with heavy grit before layup. No Problems so far as I know.
endre

Post by endre »

i have got some old fischer alpine skis from the 70's with alu tip spacers.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Do you think Boheme uses the alum as tip spacer material?