Ski building tool

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

davecanfixit

Ski building tool

Post by davecanfixit »

Hi everyone, new member here. Another skibuilder member asked me to build him an edge roller tool. I have a photo but there isn't any dimensions on it. Can anyone help me? Dave
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey Dave,
This is a tube bender used in the automotive industry for bending break lines. Just cut a notch in the center roller to hold the edge in place so it does not twist(?). Then bend away. Pretty simple and pretty cheap at the local auto supply house.
Good luck,
rockaukum
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

What tool did you use to cut the notch in the roller and did this go easily or will it be easier to cut the middle roller in two en use a washer to create an adjustable notch?

And does this bender bends the edges easily and precisely?

Thanks,
Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple and having fun while doing it. No measurements were made as far as the width of the cut to match the flange of the edges, I just held it up to the band saw and cut away! The edge fits fine and is not sloppy.
As far as is it easy? Yes
Is it precise? The depends on you. Take you time bend a little and set it to your base or template and bend again and check again. It works great for me and is easy to use and best of all...CHEAP to buy!
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i'm using probably the cheapest bender possible: my bare hands.

the past 10 pairs of skis i've made i've bent the edges by hand, even for edges that wrap all the way around the tip/tail. works just fine, but the trick is, Torque = force * distance. it's much faster for me to use my hands it seems ... and i did not say that i was a smart man. :)
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Just a man with "vice grip" like fingers!
ra
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

ive got a slip roll with those notches carved in the rollers.

works well, but the teeth sometimes will get slightly bent, then you have to tweak them with pliers if they're really outo of wack.

also you have to open the thing up to start the bend, so it's not a "set it and forget it" tool, you have to adjust it to every edge.
thetradwoodboat

Post by thetradwoodboat »

after bending a bunch of edges by hand i decided to make a form. i had to sacrifice a few lengths of edge material to get the shape and overbend right. now i just insert the end of an edge in the wooden form and bend the edge around it. the edge comes out nearly perfect, it takes a little tweaking to match the ski base pattern.
the form just does the tip bend as i'm not wrapping edges around the tail these days, but you could make a separate form for the tail. i've basically committed to one tip shape for all my skis. the form has a tight fitting grove running around it for the tangs on the edge, and with a little "counter twist" as you wrap around the form, the edge comes out perfectly flat. its a big time saver for me!
futurexrockstar

Post by futurexrockstar »

futurexrockstar

It is for a tube of 8mm
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Not sure by the looks of the tool. Take a piece of edge to the store and try?
rockaukum
futurexrockstar

...I can see it,
it's on internet...
futurexrockstar

I raised a question
If I want to put a piece of wood on ski met as screen printing. I must put a topsheet?
http://www.boheme.fr/