binding inserts with fritschi AT bindings

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

breid19

binding inserts with fritschi AT bindings

Post by breid19 »

Has anyone used M6 inserts with fritschi bindings? I am trying to locate screws that will fit these bindings. The ones at McMaster have a larger head diameter (12mm) than what comes with the bindings (8mm) so they won't rececss into the scew pocket.

thanks

Bill
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

You might check with your local hardware store. You can get allen head and phillips head screws. The head size may be different.
rockaukum
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hi breid19,

I used 1/4-20 inserts in a pair of skis that I made (for a friend) that I mounted Fritschi bindings on. The 1/4-20 diameter (.250 inch) is very close to 6mm (about .235 inch). This was about a year ago, and I don't remember any problems with the 1/4-20, other than having to enlarge the binding hole bores just a bit so that the larger screw diameter would fit through the binding. The heads on the screws were pretty large, but didn't result in any problems. I picked up the stainless screws from the local Ace Hardware store in their specialty fastener section.

I just now checked my MSC catalog (mscdirect.com), and they have M6x1 Phillips flat head stainless machine screws in 8,10, and 12 mm (and many other) lengths. They also have a flat head stainless cap screw (uses Allen wrench... I like that idea). No head diameter given in the MSC catalog.

Good luck,

G-man