Is it possible to make a collapsible ski...????

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bilaljamal69

Is it possible to make a collapsible ski...????

Post by bilaljamal69 »

hi...
i was just wondering if it was possible to make a collapsible ski...i was making a design project on a collapsible ski and was wondering if it was possible to put a mechanism in the middle of the ski so that it could fold into half so it would be easier to carry...i have come up with a few ideas like put a metal hinge in the middle of the ski and by pushing button it enables it to split into half.
other than this if this was to be done would i need to change the materials inside for it to cope with the new mechanism...???
endre

Post by endre »

search patents for it, I'm shure this has been done before, (since it is a very interesting issue for the army)
bilaljamal69

Post by bilaljamal69 »

already searched the whole web...couldnt find anything close to a good design of the collapsible ski...most of them were in different languages and did not make much sense...
endre

Post by endre »

bilaljamal69

Post by bilaljamal69 »

the thing is this cannot be implemented as this breaks the ski into 3 peices and thus it would not flex properly. if you put only one mechanism in the middle and break it from there that would be much more better as the middle part of the ski does not flex compared to the ends. so i tried finding one which breaks it from the middle but could not find 1.
mark

Post by mark »

There are a couple of companies that make approach skis that colapse by way of a joint in the middle of the ski.
endre

Post by endre »

Well, the point in't really the tree pieces, it's about the mecanism. The wire through a channel in the core is pretty smart. the challenge is making the base so that it soes not build up with snow in the joint
breid19

Post by breid19 »

I think collapsing a ski would be easy.... the expanding afterward may be harder.
bilaljamal69

Post by bilaljamal69 »

in your opinion if we place the hinge in the middle of the ski so that it collapses on top of each other. the locking mechanism would be from the side of the hinge by 2 elongated bars and it would furhter secure the ski by placing the boots on top of the miidle of the skis which would further make it secure.
and mark could you please tell me the comapny that makes these skis cause i couldnt find anything resembling a collapsible ski anywhere on the net.
btw thanx for all your replys...was helpful....
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Here is an idea...

Sorry for the horrible pic but black is back part of ski blue is front... purple blocks are bindings... red is screws and a plate...

Image (click to enlarge)

I guess it would be good to make the underfoot super stiff...

Tex[/i]
mark

Post by mark »

breid19 wrote:I think collapsing a ski would be easy.... the expanding afterward may be harder.
HA! :D :D :D

bilaljamal69, Try these:

http://www.o-rogers.ch/index.php?option ... 1&Itemid=2

http://www.zigzagtour.de/index2.htm