Camber?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Camber?

Post by Guest »

First off, awesome website. Second, on ski gallery pages, a measurement for camber is given. I am wondering if this is the amount of camber that you build into the mold, or do you overcompensate so that, after the ski bends back when it has been taken out of the mold, this is the amount of camber the ski has. Thanks.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Thanks for checking out the site. The camber values on the gallery pages are the actual measurements when the skis are taken off of the mold. Our molds have 10-15mm more camber built into them to compensate for the relaxation.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

ditto what Little Kam said. expect to loose camber. for example, one of our molds has 28mm of camber, but the skis have 12-16mm. we're not sure if a heated press will lead to less camber loss .... but i'm sure Kelvin will find out soon...
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

can the same sort of radius relaxation be expected in the tip and tail curvature? Do you build a tighter radius tip/tail mold than you expect the end product?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

yeah you should build the tip/tail molds tighter as you mentioned.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Hendryx

Camber loss!

Post by Hendryx »

Two things for your interest!
Yes, you will get less camber loss or you get more camber in a heated press due to internal stress when cooling down! Whatch out! It hard tocontrol camber in an heated press.
The other thing is, everything is about having a low camber in your skis. Low camber skis are much smother form edge to edge. In pow they start to turn without any initiation you just lean over and they start the turn. A low camber also makes the ski settle in snow and decrease lifting forces from the tail and therefore prevents headbutting. All worldcup racing skis and especially skis for speed comes with a camber of 3-4 mm.

Henrik
Biggie

Post by Biggie »

Thats quite interesting , are you affiliated with hendryx skis from, i think its sweden theyre from?
Hendryx

Camber

Post by Hendryx »

Yes I am Biggie!

Homepage is ready soon! Hendryxskis.se

Henrik